Moving JIRA Core (Server) to JSM (Data Center)

Roman Treynker May 9, 2023

We are migrating our JSM (Server)  and JIRA Core (Server) to JSM (Data Center). We currently have a few JIRA Core users and a few internal projects.

During the update, what will happen to these users and these projects? Do we need to move all JIRA Core licensed users to JSM and get them agent licenses for them to have the same access? And what about internal Projects? When we update the license, will ALL projects just same way or we would need to do something other than just updating the licenses? We have a few Customer facing projects and a few internal projects that we used to manage assets and other items. 

I can't seem to find concrete information on what we would expect during the move, other than just updating the current license to the Data Center license.

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2023

I haven't actually done the conversion yet but from what I understand...

There is no such thing as "Core" licenses in datacenter. You can still create "Business" Projects instead of Software or JSM projects. But a user will have to either be licensed as a JSM Agent, (which are more expensive licenses per user) or as a Jira Software user, which has a 500 user count minimum tier. 

So if you don't have enough spare JSM licenses in your current tier, (or in the minimum 50 user tier) you will either have to bump up to the next tier in JSM, or buy the 500 user minimum in Software.

As far as the upgrade goes, if you arent planning to take advantage of the scaling/load balancing features, you can just apply the new license, (and the new licenses you will need for all your apps, and update any apps that have a specific datacenter version) and you should be good to go. 

Server and Datacenter are the same code base, there are just features locked behind the license.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events