Looking for a date field to be the value of another date field plus 1 year

Maggie Stearns January 11, 2017

I have a date picker field. I would like to use scriprunner to help me enable a second field to display the date of the first field plus 1 year. Can you show me how to do that? Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Thanos Batagiannis _Adaptavist_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2017

Hi Maggie,

I do not know the exact requirements but I suggest to use a scripted field. What this actually does is to create a dependent to another field/s custom field. 

It is important to configure your scripted field right, so in your case will be 

For the searcher use the Date Time Range picker. For the template use Date Time Picker.

And for the inline script

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue

Issue issue = issue
def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()

// the dependent custom field
def dateACF = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Date A")

// get the value of the date A custom field
def dateAValue = issue.getCustomFieldValue(dateACF) as Date

// build the new date
def dateB = Calendar.getInstance()

// copy to the new date the value of the Date A custom field
dateB.setTime(dateAValue)

// add one year
dateB.add(Calendar.YEAR, 1)

return dateB.getTime()

So in the end your scripted field will look like

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 22.48.30.png

Hope that helps,

regards, Thanos

Maggie Stearns January 12, 2017

That works great! Thanks. Is there a way to display the resulting date without including the time?

Maggie Stearns June 26, 2017

I didn't notice that I am getting errors in the logs when I use this script:

2017-06-26 14:16:30,497 http-nio-8080-exec-21 ERROR margaret_stearns 856x3297x1 1b46rt 10.56.40.1 /secure/QuickEditIssue.jspa [c.o.scriptrunner.customfield.GroovyCustomField] Script field failed on issue: TP-18, field: Verification Expire Date (1 year)
java.lang.NullPointerException
at java_util_Calendar$setTime$0.call(Unknown Source)
at Script238.run(Script238.groovy:17)

Maggie Stearns June 26, 2017

I figured out my problem. I needed to add some code for the case if the date is null (not set).

Ankit Patel February 27, 2018

@Maggie Stearns

Can you share the code you use, I am getting null everytime I try to run the script. 

Thanks
Ankit

Maggie Stearns February 28, 2018

Sure:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue

Issue issue = issue

def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()

// the dependent custom field
def dateACF = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName('Date of Most Recent Training')

// get the value of the date A custom field
def dateAValue = issue.getCustomFieldValue(dateACF) as Date

// If the date field is empty ignore it
if (dateAValue==null) {
return null
}

// build the new date
def dateB = Calendar.getInstance()

// copy to the new date the value of the Date A custom field
dateB.setTime(dateAValue)

// add one year
dateB.add(Calendar.YEAR, 1)

return dateB.getTime()
Ankit Patel February 28, 2018

Thank you so much, I am new to the Scriptrunner and groovy so appreciate you sharing this. Thank you Maggie!

Aisha M May 3, 2018

@Thanos Batagiannis _Adaptavist_ Hi. I have a similar requirement for setting up a field to fetch in date value from another field. I tried your script but unfortunately getting the below error,

"java.lang.NullPointerException"

Can you please help me out here. Thanks 

Ankit Patel May 9, 2018

@Aisha M Can you provide details on what are you setting up and if you just want to copy the date from one field to another? 

Thanks

Ankit

Aisha M May 11, 2018

@Ankit Patel Unfortunately, my requirement has changed. I want to have a editable field (Date A) which, if left empty should copy a date value from another field (Date B). Also, the user should be able to even select the date on this field (Data A) if needed. The above 'copying logic' must work only if the field (Date A) is left blank.

Yash Doshi October 10, 2020

Hi Thanos - The script you have provided works great for me. I was looking to do an additional enhancement where I will copy custom fields to the Scripted field based on issue type. Eg:

For Issue Type = X, I need to copy the value of custom field X1 to the Scripted Field

For Issue Type = Y, I need to copy the value of custom field Y1 to the Scripted Field

Is this possible via a scripted field and if so, what would be your recommendation?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events