Linking to SharePoint Files instead of attachments

Marcel Woschek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2017

Hello there,

we are using JIRA and SharePoint in our team and I noticed the following issue:

Currently we are attaching files to an issue that are also saved in SharePoint. (We need them in JIRA to document the progress)

The problem right here is that the attached file is obviously just a copy of the SharePoint file and with that gets outdated very fast and doesn't adopt the changes made in SharePoint...

So is there any solution to link to the SharePoint file instead of attaching a file?

(The only solution I could think of is adding the SharePoint link as a comment but that is a bad solution in my opinion, because it gets mixed up with normal comments)

2 answers

0 votes
Levent Simeonov March 15, 2021

You can use Power Automate (Microsoft Flow) JIRA connection where if you create a file in SharePoint folder it can parse the name and find the issue in JIRA and add a comment with the shared link. 

You can also think of some other way to do it. 

I have a similar thing where when a JIRA item is created I create a file with a template content in SharePoint where I add the link of it to the JIRA item comment 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2017

Does your Sharepoint allow you to fetch its file by hitting a (fixed) url?  You could use web-link urls to that instead of the attachments section in JIRA (maybe with some message text to explain where it is when people want to add new attachments)

Marcel Woschek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2017

Thanks Nic,

I am aware of this, but when I use the fixed url of a file you can "only" open or download the file. The check-out options gets lost...

I could link to the SharePoint folder though. I would then have to say which file exactly needs to be opened, but that wouldn't even be that bad, because our SharePoint structure is quite organized. So it might not be so unusual if several files in this folder are relevant for the issue.

The second problem still remains though. Where should the links be added? In the description? I guess that would be the clearest solution.

What is your opinion to that?

Like Brigid McGowan likes this

Suggest an answer