Linking issues on two different Jira instances

Yurii Zhatkin March 28, 2023

Hi there, 

I have this case where I want to link issues between different Jira server instances. I created application link and the manual linking works as expected, with the selection of the server to and issue to which we gonna link:

Capture1.PNG

Though, when I am using Jira automation and creating issues using webhook, the issue linking does not work in Automation.
Here is the part of my webhook rule: 
Capture2.PNG

The smartvalue {{webhookData.key}} does not work in the automation rule, because the rule trying to find the value in the local Jira instance and not the remote, which is logical. So there should be a way to specify a server (Jira instance) where the value should be attributed, like the selection we have when manually linking issues. 

Maybe it would be possible to use json codes for this? Any ideas?

1 answer

1 vote
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2023

Hi @Yurii Zhatkin

while searching for a solution to your problem, I've found this guide. It explains a solution for Jira Cloud, but I think this might be also possibly be used on server/Data Center. The central part of the solution is the /remotelink Jira REST API call - and this API is also available for Server.

Maybe you'll get a working solution out of this?

Cheers,
Matthias.

Yurii Zhatkin March 30, 2023

Hello @Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ 
thanks for your reply and I have seen that article before. On the step 3B in that article there is clearly shown that the issue link is set up in advanced mode using JSON, 
and there are some data like "globalID, "Application": "Type", "name": 
Capture3.PNG

I assume that some similar JSON could be done for server/DC where we can specify the Server name where the issue link should be set up. Though I was not able to do it :(

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2023

Hey Yurii,

I think, these parameters should be contained in a REST API call to <JIRA_URL>/rest/applinks/1.0/listApplicationlinks.

Maybe that helps to move your forward?
Matthias.

Suggest an answer