Jira restart after upgrade to 8.22.2 complains about web.xml but then 2nd restart is successful?

Arnold May 2, 2022

We've just done an upgrade to 8.22.2 (to clear the CVE ('Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures')) but after we started the Jira service first time, it complained about an invalid web.xml file

Yet without making any changes, when we restarted a 2nd time it started up fine.

We didn't have a chance to grab any screen-clips or check the log files (we're under time pressure to complete this upgrade) but has anyone seen this behaviour before, or have any insight what caused it to complain about web.xml on first startup after upgrade?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thiago Masutti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2022

Hi @Arnold 
I hope you are well.

I believe you ran into a page similar to this

jira-upgrade-warning-custom.png

If that was the page you saw the first time after upgrading Jira, it is fine.
It means it identified you had custom modifications on a file and was warning you about it (as Jira overwrites these files on the upgrade).

You could simply click on the Ignore button if the changes are not needed anymore.

If you restart Jira at this point it won't warn you again about it.

Kind regards,
Thiago Masutti

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2022

@Arnold I had an error when I started after an update and reboot because of an app.  The first time it errored out because it was lacking enough memory after the update.  When the server was rebooted it ended up starting just fine.  We did end up having some issues in the future but just had to adjust the amount of memory allocated to Jira.  I would check your logs and make sure everything is fine.  I would also monitor the application to see how your heap is performing you might just need to make some performance adjustments.

Suggest an answer