Jira query for In Progress Stories wirh no subtasks In Progress

Jodi Hughes November 30, 2022

I'm trying to build a query that will return stories with a status = In Progress where there are no subtasks In Progress. Any suggestions? I'm stuck! JCL is an option.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2022

Hello @Jodi Hughes 

Welcome to the community.

What do you mean by "JCL"? Do you mean JQL (Jira query language) or are you referring to some third party app?

Are you using Jira Server or Jira Data Center? What version are you using?

What do you need to do with the results once you have them? 

Jodi Hughes December 1, 2022

Apologies! Bad typing & a long day!  I intended to say JQL.

I'm using jira core server v8.20

The query results will be displayed in a dashboard to alert the user's. Stories that are in progress without subtasks in progress need their attention.

Thanks!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2022

Do you have any third party apps available to you that extend JQL capabilities, such as Adaptavist Scriptrunner or JQL Search Extensions?

I don't believe you can accomplish this without a third party app.

If you have Adaptavist Scriptrunner I think this would work:

project = <your project> and type not in subtaskIssueTypes() and status="In Progress" and issuefunction in hasSubtasks and not issuefunction in parentsOf("status='In Progress'") 
Jodi Hughes December 1, 2022

Worked beautifully! Thank you so much!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2022

If your question has been adequately answered it would be great if you can mark the Answer as Accepted. That helps other community users find posts that have working solutions.

Suggest an answer