Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root


1 badge earned


Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!


Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.


Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!


Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members
Community Events
Community Groups

Jira liquibase waiting for changelog lock and Uploading Plugin Issue

When starting Jira, I get a message that states liquibase is waiting for a changelog lock to be released. It delays the Jira startup process and we're afraid its causing other issues in the system because we aren't able to upload plugins anymore. We get a message that states an unknown error has occurred and the log only reports that there are a lot of plugins installed so loading the UPM may be slow.

I've tried searching for information on liquibase related to Jira but haven't been able to find anything helpful. I've also cleared the plugin cache for Jira but that hasn't helped either. Below is a screenshot of what we're seeing on startup.


1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kurt Klinner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
Mar 04, 2020

@Info Tech 


Hi and welcome to the community

if i remember right than that message is directly coming back from liquibase while checking the table named DATABASECHANGELOGLOCK

Are there any additional exceptions in the application log thrown (also when you try to add an app)?



@Kurt Klinner  Thank you.

Is this a table in our jira database? I've been looking for something like that per the documentation I've been able to find as well, but it doesn't seem to exist. We're using Jira with a sql server database. I'm not very familiar with liquibase or the correct way to access it.

I did some more testing and the app install errors we're seeing are actually only occurring with one app now. After uninstalling that app, the changeloglock message seems to have actually gone away... Its not obvious based on the logs whether they were being caused by this or not, but I will keep monitoring as we try more things.

Hi - I am the community manager for Liquibase. It sounds like one of your apps is using Liquibase to manage its schema. The DATABASECHANGELOGLOCK table is a single row table that is used to prevent two separate processes from running the liquibase 'update' command at the same time. For applications that embed Liquibase, that command is normally run at application startup to ensure that the app and the database schema are in sync.

If there are certain types of errors during the update process, or if the update process is halted abnormally, the lock can end up being stuck. If you had access to the liquibase command line and configuration for the app, you could run the liquibase releaseLocks command, but I am going to guess you don't have that. In that case, what you can do is look in your SQL Server instance and look at the different databases and schemas, and find that table. The easiest thing to do to remove the lock is to just delete the row, and then try restarting the app. 

If you have any questions, feel free to tag me here.

Like Info Tech likes this

Thank you @Steve Donie , that makes a lot of sense. One particular application seems to have been causing the issue and we were able to resolve this with them. Thank you for your help @Kurt Klinner @Steve Donie !

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events