Jira Upgrade Error

fnusla June 6, 2022

While upgrading our Jira Application from Version 8.20.5 to 8.20.8 we encountered some issues

1. Firstly, it showed an Application was being used  when the services was stopped.
  2. The second error that we received was "The directory you have selected is not a JIRA Core installation directory”

we followed the steps provided in the Plan Your Upgrade page.

1. Schedule downtime.
  2. Check app compatibility with the Jira update check.
  3. Back up your data.
  4. Download Jira.
    1. For the installer method, choose the installer.
  5. Start the installation wizard, or extract the archive and start the upgrade.
  6. Reapply custom modifications to the following file(s). Edit the new file, rather than copying the old file, as the default configuration may have changed between versions.
    • jira-application.properties

please advice the solution for recommend which version is best  

Does it require super admin account to perform upgrade 

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2022

It usually takes a bit of time to stop an application, especially large ones like Jira.  Sometimes they do not stop at all, for some reasons (it's not worth investigating these, stopping is generally not something you do a lot, and as you're going to be upgrading, certainly not worth looking at on the current version)

Try running the service stop process again (You haven't told us what OS you're on, or what the service control system is, so I can't tell you how to do that), and if it still fails, then you should be able to just kill the process the application is running.

Once killed, yes, run the update.  You need to point it to the installation directory (do not mix this up with the home/data directory - it's not unusual to see things like /opt/jira-install and /opt/jira-data - the upgrade needs to be run against the install)

You should also pick the most appropriate installer - if you have Jira Service Management (but not Jira Software), use the installer for that.  If you have Jira Software, use the installer for that, JSM is easier to upgrade later.  If you only have Core, use Core.

fnusla June 6, 2022

Thank you for your response 

We are using Microsoft Server 2016 (64Bit), Does it require super admin account to perform upgrade

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2022

Yes, it needs to be run as a full admin - you're replacing an entire service with a new one, that's not something you want any user to be able to do.

I am sorry that that is a bit vague.  I don't use Windows if I can avoid it, I can't talk about it much.

fnusla June 6, 2022

Thank you for your response 

this is a great help

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events