Jira REST API query for projects comes back empty

Friedrich Politz April 4, 2016

I'm writing a JavaScript app that generates a report across all out projects for my team. One of the roadblocks I'm facing is CORS when querying the JIRA REST API.

One workaround I'm currently trying is that I set up a node.js server that gets a proper session using my credentials and then tries to get all projects (via /rest/api/latest/project/). 

The node.js app retrieves a proper session id. However, when it tries to query for all projects, the answer is always empty (as if it failed to authenticate properly).

This is the raw response, I marked some sensitive information with Xs:

{data: [ ],
statusText: "OK",
headers: {server: "nginx",
date: "Mon, 04 Apr 2016 22:58:24 GMT",
content-type: "application/json;charset=UTF-8",
transfer-encoding: "chunked",
connection: "close",
vary: "Accept-Encoding",
x-arequestid: "58x134005x1",
x-asessionid: "gbbla4",
x-asen: "SEN-3321953",
x-ausername: "anonymous",
x-atenant-id: "XXXXX.atlassian.net",
cache-control: "no-cache, no-store, no-transform",
x-content-type-options: "nosniff",
set-cookie: ["atlassian.xsrf.token=BJY0-9ZH5-270Y-1S6C|449aa35483219b58564XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|lout; Path=/; Secure"
],
strict-transport-security: "max-age=315360000;includeSubDomains"
},
config: {transformRequest: { },
transformResponse: { },
headers: {Accept: "application/json, text/plain, */*",
cookie: "JSESSIONID=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX",
Content-Type: "application/json",
User-Agent: "axios/0.9.1"
},
timeout: 0,
xsrfCookieName: "XSRF-TOKEN",
xsrfHeaderName: "X-XSRF-TOKEN",
method: "get",
url: "https://XXXXXXX.atlassian.net/rest/api/latest/project"
}
}

What confuses me the most is that x-ausername is anonymous, even though I appear to be properly authenticated. That's probably why the project list is empty (because I cannot see them).

But why is that? When I call the URL in my browser the JSON is returned just fine.

I'd be very grateful for insights on how to get this running. I already spent way more time on this than I wanted. 

Thanks in advance,

Fred

1 answer

0 votes
Aleks Yenin (Polontech)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2016

Hi Fred,

Try to use /rest/api/2/project instead of /rest/api/latest/project.
In case this won't help. Check the authorization method. It seems that you're not authenticated properly. Do you use JWT as the authentication mechanism?

Friedrich Politz April 5, 2016

Hi Aleks,

thanks or the quick reply. I changed the URL but that didn't help. No, I'm not using JWT since this is not an add-on. I thought it would not be necessary to go that deep just to query our projects. Is JWT really necessary for that kind of interaction?

srkakani May 10, 2019

Hi Fred,

I am facing the same issue. Have you found the solution to your problem?

Alexey Kubasov June 3, 2019

Same poblem using .NET and WebRequest.

Response come with ContentLength: -1 and HttpStatusCode: 200 (OK).

https://my.jira.domain/rest/api/2/search?jql=%20project=%22MY%22%20AND%20issuetype=%22epic%22

Same request in Chrome returns a normal data.

Request have worked a several days ago.

Requests without jql works fine: https://my.jira.domain/rest/api/2/project/10001

harisb June 27, 2019

Facing the same issue...

Probably has to do something with the cookies, as if you run it in incognito mode (chrome) it will not work as well

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events