Jira Core 8.20.0 update

Francesco Mazza October 22, 2021

Hello guys.
Currently the core version installed on my server is Jira Core 8.3.2, running Jira Software 8.3.2 and JIRA Service Desk 4.3.2.
My question is: can I update to Jira Core version 8.20.0? Will the two applications have no problems running correctly if I don't update their version on them?

I thank everyone in advance for the answers

Francesco

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2021

Software and Service Desk are applications that run on top of a Jira Core.  They have quite narrow version ranges for compatibility with Core, so a large change of Core is likely to require an upgrade. 

Yes, you may have problems if you continue to (try) to run an incompatible version of JSD or Software on a later Core.

However, the upgrades of the two applications is quite easy, and very very reliable - I've never had a problem caused by upgrading an installed application to bring it in line with the Core version.

Go ahead and upgrade Core.  When it's restarted, just go to Admin -> Manage apps, and tell it to upgrade the applications, same as you should do with all the apps you've got installed.

0 votes
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2021

Hi Francesco,

You can't updated Jira Core separately from Jira Software or Jira Service Management. The versions are dependent from eachother.

Normally you should run the JSM or JSM upgrade and then cick the "update" button in the UI under "applications" fo the other one.

Any reason you want to do this?

Francesco Mazza October 28, 2021

Hi Charlie, thanks for the reply.
The point is that my server system offers me to upgrade the core, while for the Jira software and Jira service management applications I don't see any proposals and also I don't think it's possible to make server-side updates anymore, since Atlassian now offers these applications. on the cloud. Is that so or am I wrong something? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2021

This is a bit stronger with Jira Software than Jira Service Management, but when I said "narrow ranges of compatibility" before, it's entirely possible that you are currently on a version of Jira Software that is the only match for your current version of Core!

From memory, if you have, for example, Jira Core 8.19.0 then only Jira Software 8.19.0 is usable on it (well, supported, anyway).  Same for 8.19.1 - both should be on 8.19.1

Like Charlie Misonne likes this

Suggest an answer