Jira Broken when changed IP Address

talkersoft April 22, 2019

I am running Jira on Ubuntu 18.04 on a Hyper-V vm. As i have been building up and installing it I am creating checkpoints along the way. 

My last checkpoint literally works when i restore to it, but it's in a state where when i reboot Ubuntu I lose access to Jira, it's like the web server is not listening on 8080.

Everything was working fine, even when i rebooted Ubuntu until i tried to change my ip address. I first tried to create a static ip address in Ubuntu, it worked but it broke Jira. Then i restored to my checkpoint and everything was fine again.

The state of this last checkpoint was tested thoroughly, and before I was messing around with IP addressed worked fine every single time, even after a rebooting Ubuntu.

Since chaning to a static on Ubuntu broke Jira I simply did this in my router telling my dhcp server to always give this mac the same IP.

after doing that, and restoring from my checkpoint it worked, but as soon as I reboot Ubuntu Jira is broken. I can reproduce this behavior every single time, restore checkpoint from 4am 2 days ago, Jira works fine as soon as I reboot Ubuntu Jira is broken. This behavior is not consistent with the behavior prior to messing with ip addresses, the checkpoint worked and worked after rebooting.

I can't guarantee that the Ubuntu machine has the same ip6 address, but I am positive that it has the same ip4 addrsss.

I looked in the server.xml and it's biding to localhost on 8080 which everything seemed fine.

I would rather stop fighting this uphill battle of trying to accomidate Jira, i would rather just change that IP address from Ubuntu, then do whatever it is i got to do to tell Tomcat to start working.

Yes I am able to ping this machine from other machines on my network and get a response, even after the reboot. 

What can i do to troubleshoot this? Does Tomcat have any verbose logging i can check to see the error?

I tried this on Windows first and the experience was much worse, I still have Confluence and Bitbucket to install on this sever!

2 answers

1 vote
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2019

Hey Todd,

I don't know if this will be 100% the same, but it's something to look at/check.

When we were testing out the Jira DataCenter Template in Azure (which uses Ubuntu Server) we noticed that part of it setting up the NAT box was to do the following in the iptables:sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 >> /etc/sysctl.conf

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.1.99
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -p tcp -d 10.0.1.99 --dport 80 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT

iptables-save > /etc/iptables.conf

We discovered that these settings were lost if we needed to restart the NAT box so we ended up writing a startup script that would perform this after a reboot so that connections to the Jira server would still work.

It might be worth a look?

Hope that helps!

-James

0 votes
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2019

In my cases such troubles were because sequrity reasons. 

Suggest an answer