Jira Automation to start and complete the sprint

CK September 29, 2022

I am trying to build a rule / trigger (Not JQL) which would start and complete the sprint based on below:

1. Start Sprint automatically as per the defined Sprint start date 

2. When all Issues = Story tagged to a particular sprint are moved to 'DONE' and equals defined  Sprint End date , sprint should automatically move to completed

3 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2022

Sprint start/end is not really something you should be automating, it's supposed to be done by the team when they're ready.

That's why there are no automation triggers for it, it's a bad idea to automate it.

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2022

There is no native Automation trigger for Sprints. You can't use Automation to start and end Sprints with the native functionality.

In the post @Mohamed Benziane provided, look at the response form @Jerry Laster _Divim_ Inc__ where he has suggested the use of a third party app developed by his company.

0 votes
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2022
CK September 30, 2022

No this doesnt help me, i need in terms of trigger as i dont see any trigger for Sprint 

Jerry Laster _Divim_ Inc__
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 8, 2023

There is no trigger for Sprints. We had to develop our own solution. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2023

There's no trigger for both start and end because it's a really bad idea, it defeats a lot of the points of doing Scrum.

Giangio January 4, 2024

The Scrum Guide (2020) states the following:

"The Sprint

Sprints are the heartbeat of Scrum, where ideas are turned into value.

They are fixed length events of one month or less to create consistency. A new Sprint starts immediately after the conclusion of the previous Sprint.

All the work necessary to achieve the Product Goal, including Sprint Planning, Daily Scrums, Sprint Review, and Sprint Retrospective, happen within Sprints."

Jira is not really giving this opportunity.
The Sprint is a container of other events and in my opinion the start/end of the Sprint should not be related to the status of the inner events.

In Jira could be introduced a kind of workflow with different statuses for the Sprint, like for example: plan, (transition when Sprint Planning is completed to) execution, (transition before the Sprint Review to) review, (transition after Review and Retro to) done.

In that case, start and end of the Sprint could be automated and the team has control of the Scrum events in the Sprint.

In this moment in Jira the team should hit the Start Sprint button only when the Sprint Planning is completed and usually statistics and gadget are not very accurate.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2024

Yes, that guide states that a human should be hitting the "start sprint" button, it should not be automated, because the automation can not know when the team has completed sprint planning.

Giangio January 18, 2024

Could you point where I can read in the guide your statement (if you refer to the Scrum Guide I mentioned above)?

Yes, that guide states that a human should be hitting the "start sprint" button

Or at least in which part of the guide you assume it is stated?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2024

The guide clearly states that the team must be agreed that the current sprint is concluded (which includes agreement that the next sprint is ready to start)   An automation cannot possibly know that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2024

You yourself quoted part of it:

>"All the work necessary to achieve the Product Goal, including Sprint Planning, Daily Scrums, Sprint Review, and Sprint Retrospective, happen within Sprints."

>Jira is not really giving this opportunity.
>The Sprint is a container of other events and in my opinion the start/end of the Sprint should not be related to the status of the inner events.

It is the exact opposite of your opinion.  The start/end of the sprint must be related to the status of the inner events.  You can not end a sprint and start a new one untill the team has agreed that all the work necessary to achieve the end of the sprint is done.  If the team is not complete, you can not just end the sprint at 3pm on a Tuesday because it should be ready, you have to have the team confirm that it is.

Giangio February 2, 2024

>"You can not end a sprint and start a new one untill the team has agreed that all the work necessary to achieve the end of the sprint is done.  If the team is not complete, you can not just end the sprint at 3pm on a Tuesday because it should be ready, you have to have the team confirm that it is."

This is your interpretation.

The Scrum guide states: "Sprints are the heartbeat of Scrum, where ideas are turned into value.
They are fixed length events of one month or less to create consistency. A new Sprint starts immediately after the conclusion of the previous Sprint. "

I am highlighting the fixed length. The Sprint duration is not dependent on team approval for closing it (otherwise is not anymore a fixed length, right?). 

As good practice, when the time for a Sprint is over, the PO decide if the uncompleted Stories/Activities are going to be completed in the next Sprint or eventually go back to the Backlog.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2024

No.

The sprint is planned to be a fixed length. 

In real life, your teams may not have done everything that they should in order to allow a sprint to complete.  You can not end a sprint until all the conditions have been met.  

That is not about the issues that were committed to, it's about all the other things that you need to do at sprint-end. 

Scrum suggests the sprint retrospective and sprint review need to be done, but in a lot of real-life cases, that can be as simple as just asking the team if they have got everything ready for the sprint to end - are all the issues up to date and in the right status (whether complete or not).

Let me put this another way.  If you were to say "sprint ends at 3pm on Tuesday", how can you guarantee that every single member of the team has done everything that is required to be done before the end of the sprint?  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events