Jira Automation rule adjusting for time tracking

Kirill Gutmann December 28, 2020

Hello, 

I am trying to track how much time issue spends in status "in progress" and transitions to "Done" by automatically updating "time spent".

Idea is to have "time spent" start tracking as soon as issue will leaves "To do" to "In Progress" and finishes tracking as soon as status changes to "Done" and automatically updates the field "time spent".

Keeping in mind that it syncs with before applied 5 days and 8 hours of working regime in Jira.

Is it possible ?

We are using jira standard cloud version and jira classical software project.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2020

Hi @Kirill Gutmann  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Using the automation rule, have you tried using the {{now}} smart value for the current time?

Please note that to track time with automation rules, you need multiple values to capture the start and end time of an event, and then use the diff() function to capture the duration.

For example, let's say you wanted to measure time in progress.  You would need three custom fields (or entity properties): Start In Progress, End In Progress, and Time In Progress.  Then use automation rules to trigger setting the Start and End, and when both are set calculate the Time In Progress.

Best regards,

Bill

Kirill Gutmann January 3, 2021

Thank you for the information, I will try!

0 votes
Mariana_Pryshliak_Saasjet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 29, 2020

Hello @Kirill Gutmann 

You can try Time in Status for Jira Cloud and Time between Statuses add-ons.

Time in Status for Jira Cloud generates time in status report, which shows how long an issue has been spent in each status. You can download data as XLSX or CSV file and analyze it using Google Spreadsheets, Microsoft Excel, etc. So you can export the start time, open time, close time of a story, or task easily!

2020-12-29_12-53-55.jpg

Time between Statuses shows how long it takes an issue to move from one status to another!

tbs.png

These 2 add-ons help you to track the time "in progress" status and transition time to the "Done" one.

I hope, you find it helpful.

Best regards, Mariana

Kirill Gutmann December 29, 2020

These are payable add-ons, I am more interested in automating process:

capture.PNGI got it add 6 minutes every time when I switch status from "In progress" to "Done". But i didn't figure it out how to put "real time" if I may say so.

Suggest an answer