Jira 8.13.1 - Cannot add user, all the user directories are read-only.

JP November 12, 2020

Installing form 

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/downloads/binary/atlassian-jira-software-8.13.1.tar.gz

In a debian 10

with MySQL 8 and java driver 8.0.22

and getting Cannot add user, all the user directories are read-only.

ksnip_20201112-173737.png

Any idea ? 

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2020

Hi JP,

this is strange for a fresh install as the message suggests you are trying to write to an external directory which is read-only as for example LDAP or Active Directory.

Could you please provide a probably present error message from application logs (atlassian-jira.log - probably also those from catalina.out)?
The reason for such a fundamental error should be logged into logged files.

Cheers,
Daniel

JP November 17, 2020

I am doing a fresh install ... following all the steps mention in 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/installing-jira-applications-on-linux-from-archive-file-938846844.html

* https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-8-0-1018775461.html

hitting this error:

com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT COUNT(U.ID) FROM cwd_user U (Table 'jiradb.cwd_user' doesn't exist)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.DefaultOfBizDelegator.getCountByAnd(DefaultOfBizDelegator.java:386)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.DefaultOfBizDelegator.getCountByAnd(DefaultOfBizDelegator.java:376)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.DefaultOfBizDelegator.getCount(DefaultOfBizDelegator.java:370)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.WrappingOfBizDelegator.getCount(WrappingOfBizDelegator.java:224)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.JiraSystemInfo.obtainDatabaseStatistics(JiraSystemInfo.java:338)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger.printStartedMessage(JiraStartupLogger.java:126)
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.ConsistencyCheckerImpl.printJIRAStartupMessage(ConsistencyCheckerImpl.java:200)
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.ConsistencyCheckerImpl.initialise(ConsistencyCheckerImpl.java:184)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.postDBActivated(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:166)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.lambda$postDbLaunch$2(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:146)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.doNowOrEnqueue(DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.java:301)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.doNowOrWhenDatabaseActivated(DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.java:196)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.postDbLaunch(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:137)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.lambda$start$0(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:104)
at com.atlassian.jira.util.devspeed.JiraDevSpeedTimer.run(JiraDevSpeedTimer.java:31)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.start(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:102)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener.initSlowStuff(LauncherContextListener.java:154)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT COUNT(U.ID) FROM cwd_user U (Table 'jiradb.cwd_user' doesn't exist)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.jdbc.SQLProcessor.executeQuery(SQLProcessor.java:533)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDAO.createEntityListIterator(GenericDAO.java:881)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDAO.selectListIteratorByCondition(GenericDAO.java:861)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDAO.selectByCondition(GenericDAO.java:799)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDAO.selectByCondition(GenericDAO.java:779)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDelegator.findByCondition(GenericDelegator.java:1095)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.DefaultOfBizDelegator.getCountByAnd(DefaultOfBizDelegator.java:382)
... 17 more
Caused by: java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: Table 'jiradb.cwd_user' doesn't exist
at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:120)
at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:97)
at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLExceptionsMapping.translateException(SQLExceptionsMapping.java:122)
at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ClientPreparedStatement.executeInternal(ClientPreparedStatement.java:953)
at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ClientPreparedStatement.executeQuery(ClientPreparedStatement.java:1003)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:83)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.sql.PreparedStatementWrapper.executeQuery(PreparedStatementWrapper.java:42)
at com.atlassian.jira.diagnostic.connection.DiagnosticPreparedStatement.lambda$executeQuery$5(DiagnosticPreparedStatement.java:59)
at com.atlassian.diagnostics.internal.platform.monitor.db.DefaultDatabaseDiagnosticsCollector.recordExecutionTime(DefaultDatabaseDiagnosticsCollector.java:69)
at com.atlassian.jira.diagnostic.connection.DatabaseDiagnosticsCollectorDelegate.recordExecutionTime(DatabaseDiagnosticsCollectorDelegate.java:55)
at com.atlassian.jira.diagnostic.connection.DiagnosticPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DiagnosticPreparedStatement.java:59)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.jdbc.SQLProcessor.executeQuery(SQLProcessor.java:527)

Then in  browser I get 

Referer URL: Unknown

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /opt/atlassian-jira-software-8.13.1-standalone/atlassian-jira/import/startupdatabase.xml
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /opt/atlassian-jira-software-8.13.1-standalone/atlassian-jira/import/startupdatabase.xml
 at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseInitialImporter.copyStartupXmlIntoHome(DatabaseInitialImporter.java:107) [classes/:?]
 at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseInitialImporter.importInitialData(DatabaseInitialImporter.java:54) [classes/:?]

ksnip_20201117-090527.png

JP November 17, 2020

errors are hard to follow ... 

ksnip_20201117-092726.png

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2020

For some reason tables in the database seem missing.

Table 'jiradb.cwd_user' doesn't exist

I came across a different thread here in Community where a user has trouble installing on a MySQL 8.

In case you are not missing permission in the database which could prevent creating the table in question it might be more a general thing going on.

JP November 17, 2020

I guess I am going to try PostgreSQL ... 

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2020

If this is a realistic option for you, I'd recommend it - to be honest.
The other user has his Jira up and running since he neglected the MySQL approach and installed on PostgreSQL.

This does not mean that this would be a "fix". Basically, MySQL should work and I have seen several instances in production lately running 5.7. Why there are reports around 8.0 is such a hassle while there is documentation about it and it is reported to work ("supported") is a riddle to me.

JP November 17, 2020

thank you Daniel for your support ... 

yeah ... I will try PostgreSQL. 

Too many errors .. I just moved 

startupdatabase.xml

to the expected location ... and I got a new generic error ... no log in the catalina.out .. so I am giving up with MySQL 

ksnip_20201117-100628.png

0 votes
JP November 12, 2020

not resolved

Suggest an answer