Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Jira 8.13.1 - Cannot add user, all the user directories are read-only. Edited

Installing form 

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/downloads/binary/atlassian-jira-software-8.13.1.tar.gz

In a debian 10

with MySQL 8 and java driver 8.0.22

and getting Cannot add user, all the user directories are read-only.

ksnip_20201112-173737.png

Any idea ? 

2 answers

not resolved

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Nov 15, 2020

Hi JP,

this is strange for a fresh install as the message suggests you are trying to write to an external directory which is read-only as for example LDAP or Active Directory.

Could you please provide a probably present error message from application logs (atlassian-jira.log - probably also those from catalina.out)?
The reason for such a fundamental error should be logged into logged files.

Cheers,
Daniel

I am doing a fresh install ... following all the steps mention in 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/installing-jira-applications-on-linux-from-archive-file-938846844.html

* https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-8-0-1018775461.html

hitting this error:

com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT COUNT(U.ID) FROM cwd_user U (Table 'jiradb.cwd_user' doesn't exist)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.DefaultOfBizDelegator.getCountByAnd(DefaultOfBizDelegator.java:386)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.DefaultOfBizDelegator.getCountByAnd(DefaultOfBizDelegator.java:376)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.DefaultOfBizDelegator.getCount(DefaultOfBizDelegator.java:370)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.WrappingOfBizDelegator.getCount(WrappingOfBizDelegator.java:224)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.JiraSystemInfo.obtainDatabaseStatistics(JiraSystemInfo.java:338)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger.printStartedMessage(JiraStartupLogger.java:126)
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.ConsistencyCheckerImpl.printJIRAStartupMessage(ConsistencyCheckerImpl.java:200)
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.ConsistencyCheckerImpl.initialise(ConsistencyCheckerImpl.java:184)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.postDBActivated(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:166)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.lambda$postDbLaunch$2(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:146)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.doNowOrEnqueue(DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.java:301)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.doNowOrWhenDatabaseActivated(DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.java:196)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.postDbLaunch(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:137)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.lambda$start$0(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:104)
at com.atlassian.jira.util.devspeed.JiraDevSpeedTimer.run(JiraDevSpeedTimer.java:31)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.start(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:102)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener.initSlowStuff(LauncherContextListener.java:154)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT COUNT(U.ID) FROM cwd_user U (Table 'jiradb.cwd_user' doesn't exist)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.jdbc.SQLProcessor.executeQuery(SQLProcessor.java:533)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDAO.createEntityListIterator(GenericDAO.java:881)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDAO.selectListIteratorByCondition(GenericDAO.java:861)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDAO.selectByCondition(GenericDAO.java:799)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDAO.selectByCondition(GenericDAO.java:779)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDelegator.findByCondition(GenericDelegator.java:1095)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.DefaultOfBizDelegator.getCountByAnd(DefaultOfBizDelegator.java:382)
... 17 more
Caused by: java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: Table 'jiradb.cwd_user' doesn't exist
at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:120)
at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:97)
at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLExceptionsMapping.translateException(SQLExceptionsMapping.java:122)
at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ClientPreparedStatement.executeInternal(ClientPreparedStatement.java:953)
at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ClientPreparedStatement.executeQuery(ClientPreparedStatement.java:1003)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:83)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.sql.PreparedStatementWrapper.executeQuery(PreparedStatementWrapper.java:42)
at com.atlassian.jira.diagnostic.connection.DiagnosticPreparedStatement.lambda$executeQuery$5(DiagnosticPreparedStatement.java:59)
at com.atlassian.diagnostics.internal.platform.monitor.db.DefaultDatabaseDiagnosticsCollector.recordExecutionTime(DefaultDatabaseDiagnosticsCollector.java:69)
at com.atlassian.jira.diagnostic.connection.DatabaseDiagnosticsCollectorDelegate.recordExecutionTime(DatabaseDiagnosticsCollectorDelegate.java:55)
at com.atlassian.jira.diagnostic.connection.DiagnosticPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DiagnosticPreparedStatement.java:59)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.jdbc.SQLProcessor.executeQuery(SQLProcessor.java:527)

Then in  browser I get 

Referer URL: Unknown

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /opt/atlassian-jira-software-8.13.1-standalone/atlassian-jira/import/startupdatabase.xml
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /opt/atlassian-jira-software-8.13.1-standalone/atlassian-jira/import/startupdatabase.xml
 at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseInitialImporter.copyStartupXmlIntoHome(DatabaseInitialImporter.java:107) [classes/:?]
 at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseInitialImporter.importInitialData(DatabaseInitialImporter.java:54) [classes/:?]

ksnip_20201117-090527.png

errors are hard to follow ... 

ksnip_20201117-092726.png

Daniel Ebers Community Leader Nov 17, 2020

For some reason tables in the database seem missing.

Table 'jiradb.cwd_user' doesn't exist

I came across a different thread here in Community where a user has trouble installing on a MySQL 8.

In case you are not missing permission in the database which could prevent creating the table in question it might be more a general thing going on.

I guess I am going to try PostgreSQL ... 

Daniel Ebers Community Leader Nov 17, 2020

If this is a realistic option for you, I'd recommend it - to be honest.
The other user has his Jira up and running since he neglected the MySQL approach and installed on PostgreSQL.

This does not mean that this would be a "fix". Basically, MySQL should work and I have seen several instances in production lately running 5.7. Why there are reports around 8.0 is such a hassle while there is documentation about it and it is reported to work ("supported") is a riddle to me.

thank you Daniel for your support ... 

yeah ... I will try PostgreSQL. 

Too many errors .. I just moved 

startupdatabase.xml

to the expected location ... and I got a new generic error ... no log in the catalina.out .. so I am giving up with MySQL 

ksnip_20201117-100628.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

JSM June Challenge #2: Share how your business teams became ITSM rockstars

For JSM June Challenge #2, share how your non-technical teams like HR, legal, marketing, finance, and beyond started using Jira Service Management! Tell us: Did they ask to start using it or...

295 views 9 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you