JQL for epics and the linked Tasks

Frank Lohfeld April 9, 2020

Hello,

I'm search a JQL expression. that find every EPIC with a special value. And all Tasks, that assigned to this Epics.
The special EPIC Attribute is named "DTCS" and the value i search is "yes" (Checkbox)

I start with 

type = Epic AND DTCS = Yes

This found the needed Epics - but how i can determine the issues linked to this epic in only one JQL

(type = Epic AND Workstream = Yes) and (type=task and "Epic Link" has DTCS=yes )

3 answers

1 vote
Muhammad Ramzan(Atlassian Certified Master)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2020

you can use JQL Search Extensions for Jira & reports   and it will help you to get the required results.

following query will get all issues and even their subtaks where DTCS = Yes

issue in allIssuesInEpic("DTCS = Yes")
1 vote
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 10, 2020

Hi Frank,

Sadly you cannot achieve the desired search using standard features on Jira as @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ already pointed out, you must go for a third-party app instead. Using i.e. JQL Booster Pack you can type the following:

1) Search for desired Epics

type = Epic AND DTCS = Yes

2) Use the above query as a subquery of the issuesInEpics() function, as below:

issue IN issuesInEpics(' type = Epic AND DTCS = Yes ')

(*) Note that this is just an exaMple, you must tune above query to fit your needs

Using this app you can also query other issues relations, check:

References:

Hope this helps you to create awesome queries <3

Kind regards

Frank Lohfeld April 12, 2020

thats sound good. and the extension is for free. so i have requested the installation by the datacenter admin for my JAAS Instance. I will send the results as soon as it installed

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2020

Hi @Frank Lohfeld

This isn't possible using standard JQL - when searching for issues within an Epic (via Epic Link) it's only one specific Epic you can search by.

Now you could in theory:

1. Search for all the Epics which have DTCS checked "Yes"
  2. Export this list of Epics
  3. Create a search query based on the list of Epic's issue keys which changes them from a list to a comma-separated row (I use CONCAT to do this) - i.e KEY-1, KEY-2, KEY-3, etc
  4. Enter a new search based on "Epic Link" in (), where the row of keys goes into the brackets
  5. Join the two queries together, i.e issuetype = Epic and DTCS = Yes or "Epic Link" in (KEY-1, KEY-2, KEY-3)

^ This is a little clunky though, as you'd have to add to the list of keys each time a new Epic is created where DTCS is checked. You could keep a track of this using a filter also to check each day - i.e issuetype = Epic and DTCS = Yes ORDER BY createdDate DESC - but it's still not ideal.

Alternative:

The alternative is to get an app which provides more powerful JQL functions - such as ScriptRunner or JQL Booster Pack which allow you to have sub-queries within your search functions.

Both of these have a function "issuesinEpics" - for example using ScriptRunner, you could use:

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("DTCS = Yes")

^ This would give you a list of all issues which are within any Epic where DTCS is checked. It's a much simpler, more automated method of the above.

Ste

Suggest an answer