JQL Help - Displaying a story's epic and initiative with JQL

Tina Wong February 16, 2021

Hello Jira Guru's!  I need some JQL help (hopefully without purchasing another product, but if that's what you've got- let me know).

We have this hierarchy in Jira with now Jira Premium (Advanced Roadmaps, formerly Portfolio).   

Initiative 1

---- Epic 1

----------Story 1

----------Story 2

---- Epic 2

----------Story 1

----------Story 2

There are times where I'm querying and looking at a set of stories and I'd like to show the story's epic and initiative.  I want to go 'up the hierarchy' and see what Epic and Initiative the story it belongs to and I can't find out how to do this.  Please help!  

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2021

Hi Tina,

Are talking in a filter? Do you need to just see the results or use it?

I am thinking just display the Epic Link and the Linked columns in your filter result. But that's probably too simple. 

Tina Wong February 16, 2021

We can use a filter to return the desired user stories, but not necessary.   So, for example, if our JQL is:  

Project = 'XXYZ' and "Target Release Date[Date]" = '2021-02-12' order by created DESC

The linked columns i've selected include: key, epic link, summary, status, target release date (custom field), and parent link.

So, the parent link isn't valid at the story level because that's the epic link.  What I really want is the parent link of the epic of the story that I want.  

Hopefully that clarifies.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2021

Yeah, you are probably not going to get that in a JQL.

Suggest an answer