JQL-Error in structure while automation

Erik Buchholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2020

I have a Automation for Jira rule which gives me an error, if there are 2 issues found. If it's only one issue the rule works as expected.

In this rule is a JQL:

issue in structure("DEMOANF1","descendant of {{issue.key}} AND [MyCustomTime > '{{triggerissue.MyCustomTime.jqlDateTime}}']")

This JQL gives the following error message inside the automation.

JQL search failed for some issues. This is most likely because the JQL with smart-values was not valid for this query:
"(issue in structure("DEMOANF1","(descendant of DEMOANF1-252) AND ([MyCustomTime > '2020-02-04 13:54'])")) AND (project in (15001))" - Failed to validate jqlFunction 'structure', possibly plugin supplying it had thrown exception. Check the logs."

Outside the automation it works. The error message is independant if there are issues found or not.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Erik Buchholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2020

I have found a possible solution that works on the test system and we will try in the productive system:

If I move the JQL part of the S-JQL outside the structure function, I don't get the error anymore. So the JQL will then be

issue in structure("DEMOANF1","descendant of {{issue.key}}") AND MyCustomTime > '{{triggerissue.MyCustomTime.jqlDateTime}}'

It would be a pleasure if anyone can provide an explanation for this behavior.

Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 6, 2020

Hello Erik,

The query should work the same both ways regardless of the way it's composed. But since it's executed via another app, it is possible that it might be built differently or the related error is related to something going on on the system.

We recommend to look into the following:

- When the S-JQL is executed via the Automation rule, the query itself might not be built correctly because of the used smart values. We would recommend creating a rule without such values and check how it goes.
- The other reason might be a specific problem on one of the nodes. To figure out if it's the culprit or not, you can run the first query(with the error) on each node and see if it provides the same results or not.

You can also contact us at support.almworks.com if you need further assistance. We'll be glad to check the logs and investigate this problem deeper if needed.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Like Erik Buchholz likes this
Erik Buchholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2020

Hi Stepan,

thanks for your reply.

1. When I replaced the smart values and validated the query in the rule: 1 issue found, but when I run the rule I get the same error as before.

2. When I run the query on the different nodes I always get the expected result.

So I think the problem is the execution via Automation 4 Jira.

Best regards,
Erik

Suggest an answer