Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in
Deleted user
0 / 0 points
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JIRA rounds 'updated' date differently across different REST APIs

Jira v8.5.7


It appears that the date/time returned from a JQL search to the REST API differs from the date/time returned from the issue directly:


Using the REST API to search:
The result is:

expand: "names,schema",
startAt: 0,
maxResults: 1000,
total: 1,
issues: [
expand: "operations,versionedRepresentations,editmeta,changelog,renderedFields",
id: "139745",
self: "",
key: "CBSE-8965",
fields: {
updated: "2020-10-08T16:42:27.000-0500"

See that the 'updated' field is "2020-10-08T16:42:27.000-0500"However, if I use the REST API to fetch the full document contents:

Then the return 'updated' field is: updated: "2020-10-08T16:42:27.259-0500"

So it would seem that JIRA is rounding the date in different places

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Oct 09, 2020

Hi Perry,

Thanks for pointing out this problem.  I can see how this difference could cause confusion.  I found that this has already been documented as a bug back in JRASERVER-28238.  I have updated this bug so that it is more in line with our standards.

Sorry to report that there does not appear to be a clear workaround for this.  However I suspect this has been prioritized low because Jira never displays date/times to this level of precision within the UI.  That said, I didn't expect the values to be different here between these two calls. 

When Jira is searching for issues, it has to rely upon the indexes created for these issues.  Jira uses Lucene to do this. I suspect that in order to optimize the search indexes, these millisecond values might be getting dropped from the actual value when the indexes are created.

I hope this helps.


Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

JSM June Challenge #2: Share how your business teams became ITSM rockstars

For JSM June Challenge #2, share how your non-technical teams like HR, legal, marketing, finance, and beyond started using Jira Service Management! Tell us: Did they ask to start using it or...

299 views 9 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you