Issues having a blank resolution

Steffen Neumann July 31, 2020

The resolution field of all my issues is blank. Therefore, they do not show up in the dashboard under my assigned issues. It is my understanding that the resolution should be displayed as unresolved if the resolution field is empty. I thus suspect that the resolution is set to an empty string for whatever reason.

Tickets don't show up in search when searching for Resolution IS EMPTY.

I did read a few threads about similar issues and ruled out the usual suspects: There is no custom resolution named Unresolved added. Re-indexing the project did not help. Finally, there is no post-function that manipulates the resolution.

Anything else I could check? Is there a way to search for empty strings in JQL to confirm my suspicion? Perhaps it's possible to work around this issue by auto-clearing the resolution field in a post-function?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Steffen Neumann August 3, 2020

I figured it out. The issue was caused by the resolution field being hidden in the field configuration for whatever reason.

Veronique DUFOUR August 3, 2020

I'm glad you find out a solution, I was out of solution :)

Faruk Ferhat AKÇİN September 23, 2021

Soution has worked for me. Great and simple answer. Needed a reindex to make it work.

0 votes
Erin Henne November 16, 2020

Check the post functions in the workflow. I just found that my workflow had a post function to clear the resolution. 

Also, you can have the closed/done status transition back into itself to reset the resolution without needing to change the status. 

0 votes
Veronique DUFOUR July 31, 2020

Hi @Steffen Neumann 

You could try this to list all the possible values.

ResolutionValues.png

Thanks for the answer Veronique. This does indeed list some of possible resolutions available in the instance. It does not help in my case though, where the resolution seems to be an empty string.

resolution_blank.png

@Steffen Neumann 

The other thing I could think of is to try to play with filters. Something like:

Resolution not in (resolved) 

to see if tickets with no Resolution appear in the result.

We had a problem similar to this and tickets that were not showing were having a Resolution = Done due to incorrect workflow.

@Veronique DUFOUR 

Tickets are not being returned when searching for "Resolution not in (resolved) ".

@Steffen Neumann 

Normally all tickets would show with a query without filter like the following:

order by created DESC

@Veronique DUFOUR 

Yes, they do when not qualifying via resolution field.

@Steffen Neumann 

You could try to add the resolution column to the result then try to export to Excel or something else to see what this column contains.

Steffen Neumann August 1, 2020

@Veronique DUFOUR 

Good idea. I did that and the resolution field contains no value, not even a 'hidden' space. So now I am wondering, why these tickets are not showing as unresolved or being returned when searching for "resolution is empty".

Suggest an answer