Issues are auto assigning during "In Progress" transition

Paul Wieland January 19, 2021

I created a brand new Jira Core site that has no automations setup. I have a project with tasks.

When I move an unassigned task from To Do to In Progress, the task is automatically assigned to me.

How do I disable this?

All my searches turn up instructions on how to enable this feature using workflows, but I have not created/changed any workflows.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2021

HI @Paul Wieland ,

As you saying while transiting in between statuses the assignee field is getting updated.

As @Brent Thayer  mentioned it is possible when using "Post Function" / "Automation"  .

Please go to Task Workflow.

1. Select the transition from To Do - In progress

image.png

2. Post functions

3. Do you have the below six or more , can you please recheck and confirm

image.png

If the above is same, we have to look into Automations.

Automations:

Project Settings --> Automation > 

Check the sections All rules , Project  rules, Global rules.

image.png

If there any rules there may be it's happening by using Automation. 

Paul Wieland January 21, 2021

So apparently the Jira Core / Business template includes a workflow that automatically assigns tasks when they are moved to In Progress.

What I was missing was how to find the post function responsible because in the workflow screen there is no mention of it. The trick (as you pointed out with your drawing) is that you have to click the transition text in the diagram and then you can see the post functions.

I'm sorry, but it's poor design if someone has to draw a circle in a screen shot to explain how to find something!

Thank you for your help!

Like Brent Thayer likes this
0 votes
Brent Thayer January 19, 2021

There could be a few reasons why this is happening. But my guess is that you have default assignee as yourself. Go to project settings>details>default assignee and select Unassigned.

Also i would check your transition in the workflow to make sure that there isnt a post function affecting you. 

And while your project may not have automation i would confirm that a Global automation isnt messing you up.

Just a few ideas hope this helps

Paul Wieland January 19, 2021

@Brent Thayer Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that's not it. The Default Assignee is already set to Unassigned.

Brent Thayer January 19, 2021

Sorry i just edited my post. Have you tried the other two options as well?

Paul Wieland January 21, 2021

@Brent Thayer @KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH This is literally a brand new jira site, so it seems like this auto assign feature is part of Jira Core / Business project template and can't be turned off?

There are no global automations for the site. There are no customized workflows.

Like Lauren Dorothy likes this
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2021

Hi @Paul Wieland ,

May I know which project you facing the issue.

Project type ?

will create same kind of project in my cloud. will let you know the possibilities.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events