Issue can only be accessed directly (through API) but not through boards

Lena Seitz September 16, 2020

I'm currently trying my API-requests in Postman and I've encountered the following problem:

According to the Attlassian-Docu, the path to find an issue from a specific board would be

http://url-jira-inter.de/rest/agile/latest/board/2/issue/16715

But that way I only get the 404 Error. The issue as well as the board exists, so I don't really know what to do about that.

I can access the issue through 

http://url-jira-intern.de/rest/agile/latest/issue/16715

(Without going through the board) the problem is, I want to get the issues-worklogs from a specific board and therefore it would be unconvenient not to reference the board in the path (I hope that there might be an easier way to get to all the worklogs and request them but I don't know yet). Does anyone know, why I can't access the issue as long as the board is mentioned in the path? (Same problem occurs for sprints, epics, etc)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2020

I can't see a doc that says you can get to an issue via a board that way.

rest/agile/<version>/board/<boardid> does have an issue function, but that returns all the issues on the board. 

The url you've given is not a valid call, but if you drop the issue number off the end of it, then you should get all issues on board with id 2

Lena Seitz September 16, 2020

Yes, I changed the url (I'm an intern and don't really know what is sensitive information so I excluded it, as I figured it wasn't important).

In that case I misunderstood the function, I do in fact get all issues on board 2. But in that case, how do I get to the worklogs? As far as I'm concerned, I can't get the worklogs when I'm returning all issues. I might be overlooking something but thank you for the clarification 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2020

Ok, so if you have a look at the call as documented at https://docs.atlassian.com/jira-software/REST/7.3.1/  (look for the line "get issues for board" and click to expand it), you'll see an example response

Near the end of the example, there is a block of json entitled "worklog"

Lena Seitz September 17, 2020

This link doesn't work =/.

I have found a response that gives me a worklog, but only for one issue, that's why I asked if there is a way to get all worklogs through the board, without having to specify every issue that belongs to that board. 

I have to write an automated program, so I can't look up all issues, before retrieving the worklogs.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2020

Khoros (the software behind Community) has a bug where it pads urls with invisible junk when they are pasted into it.  I've re-done the link, please try it again.

Lena Seitz September 17, 2020

oh, maybe they don't want external links? (or it's just a bug, idk)

The link now works but I still seem to be using it a little wrong. When I give the parameter "id" it should only return all issue-id's for that board, or am I wrong? No matter what parameter I'm giving it, it always gives me every attribute of every issue from the board.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2020

Yes, the call is to "get all issues from a board".  I'm not sure why you're trying to give it parameters which the docs do not say is there. 

The default is to return all the data for each issue, but have a look at the "fields" parameter for the call, that will probably help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events