Is there is a list of all available transition IDs

Gordon Whitton February 22, 2016

I would like to use the JIRA API to progress the job status.  I cannot find a definitive list of all transition IDs.  I understand a request using e.g. /rest/api/2/issue/MY-REF-ID/transitions will return the available transition for that job, but what I am after is a complete list of all possible transition IDs.  Many thanks.

4 answers

3 votes
Marc Eiler September 30, 2016

You can see a list of all of the transition IDs and other details about the status if you go to:

http://your-site-here/rest/api/latest/status/

The ID that you're looking for is the one in the main section and not the one in the StatusCategory section. You'll see a list of all of the statuses that are available on your instance of Jira.

Example output:

{

}

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2016

That's not the transition id, it's the status id.

Like # people like this
Max MacLeod April 11, 2018

Hi @Nicany idea where to find the transition id?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2018

Over REST, the response to a "get issue" can include all available transitions for that issue, including ID and name

See https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/7.6.1/#api/2/issue-getIssue

Max MacLeod April 11, 2018

beautiful thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-!

John Le July 18, 2018

Open your workflows in text you can find the transition id's.

charles_jrb September 19, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for.

Benjamin Paz September 22, 2018

This didn't work. Apparently the transition IDs are not available.  Here's the workflow image from my jira instance in text . IDs are not shown on the image.JiraProjectWorkflow.JPG

Costel Badeci October 23, 2018

@Benjamin Paz You are in view mode of the workflow. If you want to see transition id you must edit the workflow in text mode. Then you will see Transition (id) field.Capture.JPG

Like # people like this
Ali Motalebi November 1, 2020

@Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ Thanks for the info

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2016

There isn't one.  The question is quite difficult, because "a list of all transition ids" could easily look like 10010, 10020, 10020, 10020, 10020, 10022, 10024, 10030, 10034, 10035, 10035, 10035 and so-on.  They are only unique within the workflow, AND they can be shared. 

Fetching a transition without the context of the issue and that issue's status is pretty much useless - you can't actually do anything useful with it.

Gordon Whitton February 22, 2016

Thank you for your quick response. 

It sounds like I first need to find out what transitions are possible, and then select the correct id from those available.

In my case, I need to progress a ticket to "Awaiting Test" (assuming that is an option).  Do I need to search the response for "name" : "Awaiting Test", and extract the id value relating to it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2016

That's correct, yes. 

You can't trigger transitions that are not valid for the issue, so the list isn't a lot of use, and it's best to ask the system what is valid, and parse it for the one you're looking for!

1 vote
Jiri April 6, 2020

Use API to list transitions for an issue.

Post the following into browser

https://jira.domain.tld/rest/api/2/issue/<issuekey>/transitions
Rajesh June 3, 2020
issuekey?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2020

Yes, you need to give it the key of the issue you want to work with.

0 votes
Jonathan Vezinat May 12, 2021

curl -u user:password -X GET http://jiraURL/rest/api/issue/issuekey/transitions?expand=transitions.fields

that should return available transition states for that issue based on its workflow

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events