Is there a way to aggregate sprint reporting across multiple sprints?

Michael Schumacher September 7, 2016

I want to use JIRA Agile Scrum configuration to aggregate sprint status of the overall project.

Some background:

• There are multiple cross functional teams
  • There are multiple JIRA projects
  • There are sprints that are 4 weeks long, this is common to everyone
  • The cross functional teams created their own sprints within their projects
    • Some teams created sprints for a particular block of the design
    • The sprints, however, have the same start and end date
  • I found the built in sprint reporting gadgets work well for an individual sprint
    • However, if I want to get overall project status, I have not found any way to combine sprints

Let me give an example to clarify:

There is a Project A and Project B.

Within Project A there are two sprints:

• Block_A_Sprint_1 (start date = 9/5, end date = 9/30)
  • Block_B_Sprint_1 (start date = 9/5, end date = 9/30)

Within Project B there are three sprints:

• Block_C_Sprint_1 (start date = 9/5, end date = 9/30)
  • Block_D_Sprint_1 (start date = 9/5, end date = 9/30)

Let me preface by saying I am new to using JIRA for Agile Scrum.

Are we going down the wrong path here? Is it better to have a global sprint that spans across projects and blocks? The general thinking is the team wants to have control of their own sprint.

How do I generate a aggregate report of all sprints?

Any way to make a combined burn down chart based on dates?

5 answers

4 votes
David Almeida February 12, 2019

This thread is old, but I just stumbled on it looking for the same answer. Since JIRA does not allow a burndown of burndowns (ala scrum of scrums)... I have found a solution outside of JIRA: Excel.

1) From your Scrum Board > Reports > Burndown Report > select current sprint. Copy the table below the burndown graph and paste it into Excel. Repeat for each additional team/sprint, appending below the previous team's table data.

2) Cleanup formatting. Un-merge cells, remove headers, etc. I use text to columns to strip the timestamp from date. My end state "raw data" looks like this:

Burndown of Burndowns Raw.JPG

3) Insert pivot: rows = Date, Values = "Sum of Increase", "Sum of Decrease".

4) Build a table with the following columns: Sprint Dates, Completed Units (we use Story Points), Work Remaining, Work Forecast. In the Completed Units column I use the following formula: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(<date>,$Pivot$Range,<row num for "Sum of Dec.">,FALSE),0). In column Work Remaining I start with the Sum of Inc. value, then subtract current day Completed Unit value from previous day's Work Remaining value. In column Work Forecast I take the Sum of Inc. value divided by count of Sprint Dates to get daily velocity, then iterate down until the last day in Sprint has "0" units.

5) Insert Line graph with series "Work Remaining" and "Work Forecast", Horizontal axis is "Sprint Dates". I also adjust for non working days. The final result looks like this: 

Burndown of Burndowns.JPG

Dawn DiAnda July 12, 2019

This is great, thanks for sharing!

Like Veera likes this
Christianne Ribeiro December 19, 2019

Thanks for sharing!

Like Veera likes this
1 vote
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2016

Hi Michael and Michael,

out of the box there isn't a way to aggregate activities tracked under different projects/teams/sprints. This falls under the definition of a Program. Cycle Control add-on is designed exactly with that use case in mind - you can define your initiative as a aggregation of different Agile Boards or Projects on top of that you can see the progress and any custom metrics on a timeline.

Let us know if you are interested in a quick demo at support@botronsoft.com.

Cheers,
Peter T

Michael Schumacher September 8, 2016

Thanks Peter, if it can do exactly as I want, I would like to see a demo. I will contact you in email.

Like Veera likes this
0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2019

Hi @Michael Schumacher ,

You can do this with our Great Gadgets add-on (available for both Jira Server and Jira Cloud).

It offers a "Release Burndown Burnup" dashboard gadget that is based on a filter. All you have to do is to create a filter that includes the issues from all your teams/projects and configure the gadget to use it. You can also specify the start/end date of your release. This way you will have the combined Burndown Chart that you are looking for.

More details about how to configure it can be found in the add-ons documentation: https://bitbucket.org/StonikByte/great-gadgets-add-on/wiki/Home#!release-burnup-burndown-chart 

Danut. 

stu.patrick March 3, 2021

Hi @Danut ,

It looks like the Great Gadgets add-on might suit the needs of the projects I'm working with.

We have multiple sprint boards across multiple projects.

I'm aware JIRA automatically offers burn down and burn up charts at sprint board level, but we're looking for a way to combine the multiple sprint boards across the projects, into one and be able to show a burn up chart which summarises the progress of all the (most likely) Epics combined across all the sprint boards.

How likely is it Great Gadgets can do this?

Fingers crossed it can!

Stu.

Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 9, 2021

Hi @stu.patrick 

Great Gadgets can give you a combined burndown chart for all your projects. 

Please see how to do this here: Cross-project release burndown chart in Jira with Great Gadgets app 

If you still have questions, please contact us at support@stonikbyte.com and we will provide the necessary assistance. 

Danut.

stu.patrick March 10, 2021

Thanks @Danut M _StonikByte_ 

I've emailed you.

Stu.

0 votes
Michael Gibson September 8, 2016

In the situation where we don't have any budget for add-ons, has anyone got a workaround using the standard product features?

Mick

0 votes
Michael Gibson September 7, 2016

I'm facing into this same issue - I'd love to hear a definitive answer.

I understand you can create a new board with a custom filter that includes all of the Issues from each of the 'child' Projects - then, in theory, you can use the sprint burndown chart for that 'aggregate' board.  BUT, if each project has their own Sprint defined (perhaps even with different names) then the Sprint Burndown report won't work across the whole programme - it will only display one of the Sprints at a time.

I believe the solution (although I'm unable to test it yet) is to have all child projects use the same Sprint - which can only occur if at least one issue (that is assigned to that sprint) appears on each project board.  Which is probably not desirable because you don't want issues appearing on multiple boards.

Not sure what the total solution is, but would love to hear from folks doing this.

Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2016

Hi Michael, you listed quite accurate the challenges if you don't have additional budget and want an Agile board to aggregate the deliverables from multiple boards, you can use one sprint across many boards and projects.

This solution is quite clumsy and each time you need to make changes the filter needs to be adjusted and if one of the Child projects somehow change than the aggregate board won't show the aggregated information.

Then if this is still acceptable, you cannot see all the information in one place, you need to constantly jump between boards. The reports are limited and fixed - you can't customize them.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Peter T

Michael Gibson September 8, 2016

Yes, I understand.  I do have a moderate level of concern over the clunkiness.  But I'd like to trial this option and if it is particularly problematic then I'll advise others that we should consider an add-on.

Thanks, Mick

Suggest an answer