Is it possible to restrict visibility to jira tasks by component or custom field selections?

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2022

I have a group who wants to restrict viewing permissions to components (or a custom field by "sub type") while still giving Create and Edit access to the Jira project. Is this possible? 

I have already suggested breaking out the content into separate Jira projects but I am doing my due diligence for the user.

Thanks,

Jonathan

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2022

No, it's not possible to do this.

You can only restrict issue visibility by using security levels.  You could set up something convoluted about setting security levels with Automation, based on other fields, but it is complex and unwieldy, and the complexity usually means mistakes will happen and people will get to see the wrong thing.  I'd always push "separate projects" over "automated security levels"

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2022

Right. From our experiences, it will work then break at some point and be more effort to fix it. Separate projects for different access permissions is the way to go

Suggest an answer