Is it possible to restrict field edit for specific role? add read only field with other field data?

Meital Adir March 24, 2021

Hi,

I would like to restrict users from editing fix version field on Jira cloud and allow only to specific role, Is it possible?

I've thought to remove this field from view/edit screen and by automation copy fix version value to a read only field. does anyone know how to achieve that?

Thanks. 

1 answer

2 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2021

Hi Meital,

Automation for Jira does not prevent any actions from taking place. That is done with Conditions and/or Validotors on the workflow. 

Automation rules only fire AFTER something has taken place - a field has been updated, the issue has transitioned to another status, a query was fired as a part of a scheduled run, etc. 

But a workaround might be to remove the field from the Edit screen for the project. Then create a new Transition screen with the field showing on this screen. 

Then create a new transition on the status that loops back to itself (called a Looping Transition).

Then attach the Transition screen to the new looping transition in the workflow. 

Then you can place conditions on this transition to control who can execute the transition that shows the screen with the field to be edited. 

Meital Adir March 24, 2021

Thanks @John Funk , that's perfect for Jira Server, I'm looking for a solution for Cloud, that I will be able to view that field but not to edit it. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2021

I only use Cloud and it works great for me. What are you not able to do?

Meital Adir March 25, 2021

Since there is no different screens for edit/view issue in cloud, I would like to enable field edit to specific users, but still be able to view this field value, like read-only field.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2021

There are still Create, Edit, and View screens in Jira Cloud and with the new view. 

Go to Settings > Issues > Screens to create those different screens. Then you can follow my guidance above. 

Meital Adir March 25, 2021

I'll try that. Thank you!

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events