Is it possible to have planning board over multiple projects

Da ne January 16, 2020

Hello everyone, 

i was reading over the jira Board according to my problem and want to thank everybody who provides this great help in the community. 

We are working on several projects with several clients parallel. Therefore we have for each project a different jira project scrum Projects with epics, sprints, backlog and so on. This can include sales tasks e. g. E-Mail follow ups as well as development tasks. 

Right now for my weekly planning I have to go through each project and have to figure out the story points count them on a separate sheet and try to fill each day according to my time. This process is very inefficient and time consuming. When I have assigned everything I can apply a filter for each day and then work the tasks and change the status. 

What I'm trying to solve is that I have a weekly planning board (e. g. Kanban) where I can assign for each day the tasks (as issues). That I can see in one overview for each day the tasks and work on them. Therefore I would import all the issues which due in this week (assigned before in the specific boards) in one weekly backlog. Then drag all the issues to the specific day. After working on them I would like to put them in done and also update the status. 

The scenario would be as following:

Project 1: 

- Task 1

- Task 2

- Task 3 

Project 2: 

- Task 1

- Task 2

- Task 3 

Project 3: 

- Task 1

- Task 2

- Task 3 

And the final Scenario would be

Backlog -Week

- Project 3 Task 2

Monday

-Project 2-Task 2

-Project 3-Task3

Tuesday 

-Project 3-Task1

-Project 1-Task1

Done: 

-Project 1-Task3

I was experimenting with some plugins and also tried to export the issues with ifftt and zapier to make the planning in a different tool and then sync back. These solutions are not working so well and I'm wondering if there is no solution for to solve this planning problem in jira. 

Thank you in advance for your help

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2020

Hi @Da ne  - Start with a filter that includes all of the projects. Something like:

Project in (ABC, DEF, 123, 567)

Then create a board that uses that filter. As Krister said, it is best if all of the projects are using the same workflow and hence, the same statuses. Then map the statuses to the columns on your board. 

0 votes
Krister Broman _Advania_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2020

You can certainly have a board that covers multiple project, just create a new board and then easiest way is to create a "Board from an existing Saved Filter". 

Remember that you need to assign statuses to columns and that if you have multiple projects with separate workflows/statuses you may have some issues, if they are using a standard then there should be no issues. 

If you want to expand on this type of management then the search term is portfolio management and there is a number of plugins that can assist you for example BigPicture, Structure, Portfolio for Jira etc...

Suggest an answer