Is it possible to add buttons to the create screen?

Joshua Steubs January 13, 2023

We're trying to implement a "Save as Draft" feature into our JIRA project (which AFAIK is available on JIRA cloud, but unfortunately we're on JIRA server). We'd like to add a button "SAVE DRAFT" to the create screen next to the "Create" and "Cancel" buttons. Is this possible? I'd think web fragments would do the job, but I can't find anything online regarding adding buttons to the create screen. 

1 answer

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2023

Hi @Joshua Steubs 

This isn't available in Cloud or Server - there's feature requests for both though:

---

What would the button do with the Issue once it's pressed?

I feel it might be easier just to have a "Draft" Status in your Workflow - or, Statuses that represent the ideation/analysis steps prior to delivery, so more information can be added (or something similar depending on the represented process)

Ste

Joshua Steubs January 13, 2023

How our system currently works is that when issues are created, they go to backlog, then we use a post function to transition this issue to the next state. This transition involves sending off lots of emails, creating user stories, etc., so we want to be able to continue editing an Epic until it's ready to be sent off.

Ideally, we'd have a button next to "Save" button next to "Create" that puts the Epic into backlog without transitioning it.

Our problem is that we have a ton of required custom fields, so users want to be able to start an Epic and come back to it later. Our thought is that when users save as draft, the unfilled required custom fields are filled with some dummy value that they need to change later. Not pretty, but if there's a more elegant solution to this please let me know.   

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2023

Hi @Joshua Steubs 

There's quite a bit of complexity here to run through scripting.

I still think there's options to make this simpler - for example...

• Remove the need for "mandatory fields" on the Create Issue Screen
  • Add these fields to the next Workflow Transition as Conditions 
  • Allow users to create Epics which go into the "Draft" Status - but not transition them forward until they have all the appropriate data
  • Have Epics which are ready at creation auto-transitioned to the next Status

^ This might cover both needs - depending on the wider process?

---

I'm not saying what you want to do with Scriptrunner isn't possible, but I couldn't find an elegant/simple solution for it - and the process you've described doesn't sound optimum because of the dummy values, etc.

Ste

Suggest an answer