Integrating Jira Server with Bitbucket Cloud

Niranjan Deshpande June 21, 2021

I have installed Jira server vv8.17.1, locally on my laptop.

Referring this local jira instance URL I have added an OAuth consumer on my test repository at bitbucket.org and given right level of read/write accesses. Using the OAuth information from there, I have added a DVCS account/link into the local Jira server instance. The handshake is successful. I am able to create branches from Jira issues, and these branches are also successfully reflected into bitbucket. But the smart commits are not triggering the issue transitions on my local jira instance. E.g. commit message

<ISSUE_KEY>  #in-progress #comment <comment_string> 

The above commit message is also showing up in the Activity tab of the corresponding jira issue in my local jira server instance. However:

1. I am not seeing the issue status transition with the above smart code commit message

2. I am also not seeing the Development column under the Release hub in the local jira instance

3. Also the #comment <comment_string> does not show in the issue comments on the jira instance

Am I missing something? Does jira server support these transitions out of the box? Or I need configure the work flows (I have left everything to the defaults for now, straight out of a fresh install)

4. Rolling this setup to the actual jira server instance: If I enable a repository under DVCS, what would be the impact on other projects (owned by other teams in the organization, those teams not having access to my bitbucket repo and not having access to my jira projects)? I read that repo integration/dvcs linking is at jira server instance level, not at a jira project level. Will my DVCS linking setup be enabled for other teams if they got the Development panel enabled for in their card layouts? And if they have so, and try creating branches from jira, will those branch requests land on my bitbucket repo? 

Update: I added a trigger on commit, to transition the issue to in progress and the commit did trigger the issue transitions. I have smart commit enabled, but they did not seem to work as i said earlier. The transition only worked after I added a trigger. I manually refreshed the link in the DVCS (from what i read the sync interval is 60min). Still the smart commit does not transition the issue (referring to the smart commit above), transition happens only after the trigger is added. I am not sure why the smart commits are triggering the transition.

1 answer

0 votes
Niranjan Deshpande June 22, 2021

I matched the email addresses at both ends (account in bitbucket has same email address as the account in jira server) and i got the comments working. So my Question #3 is answered. 

Also with regards to Question#1, the Activity stream Dashboard on jira login does show the status transition logged. However, the issues are still not moving in between columns on the board. For e.g. #done in the smart commit is showing up as Changed status to Done under the Activity/History tab of that Jira issue, BUT the issue itself not moving into the Done column on the board. So still looking for help on Question#1 (and Question #2, and #4)

Please help :)

Suggest an answer