Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

In the new Jira UI, how do I convert a story into a sub-task of another story?

I was used to converting a Story directly into a Sub-task of another existing story.

However, in the new Jira-UI, I only see how to convert ("move") a story into a task (or bug or epic), but not into a subtask.

Anybody knows how to do that now?

See screenshot:MoveJira.png

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Fazila Ashraf Community Leader Sep 03, 2018

Hi @Luca Naso

According to the documentation https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/creating-issues-and-sub-tasks-765593815.htmlYou can't do this in the new issue view just yet

image.png

Hey@Fazila Ashraf, thank you for your prompt answer.

It's a pity that this feature is not available yet. I hope it will come asap.

Do you know if it is in roadmap?

Fazila Ashraf Community Leader Sep 04, 2018

Hi @Luca Naso

I do not know but you can watch the confluence page - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/the-new-jira-issue-view-938040503.html to see what new changes they keep bringing to the new view   :)

3 votes
Answer accepted

To update this Question, today as of March 4th, 2019, you CAN convert a Task or any type of issue into a sub-task, just by clicking the 3 dots (...) icon to the far right of the issue title and selecting MOVE. In the Move issue screen, you must select the sub-task (you got to have it enabled or added as an issue type in the project settings) issue type and follow the prompts to finish the process. That's it.

Fazila Ashraf Community Leader Mar 04, 2019

Thank you for updating :)

Hello @Martz

thanks for your answer. However, I have tried and I still do not see the "sub-task" target when converting an issue, i.e. when entering in the "move" menu.

Can you please share some screenshot?

Ditto.  In the Old View I can convert an issue into a sub-task or create a sub-task, but in the New View it only all allows you to Move it to a new project or new issue type, but not a sub-task.  

I was also looking to convert a sub-task into an issue and could not find a way to do that in the New View either.  Had to go to the Old View.

So while it's been painful, I have been trying to migrate myself to the New View, but without full functionality it's not a viable option.

Like Áron Bustya likes this

Atlassian deserves its own dedicated prize for doing stuff the most unnatural and as far from intuitive as possible. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

JSM June Challenge #2: Share how your business teams became ITSM rockstars

For JSM June Challenge #2, share how your non-technical teams like HR, legal, marketing, finance, and beyond started using Jira Service Management! Tell us: Did they ask to start using it or...

334 views 9 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you