In eazyBI how can my report display Epic Name rather than Key and Summary?

Matt DeLuco June 7, 2016

As stated in the title, using the Epic Link agile dimension in my eazyBI report will have the report display the epic key and summary, in this format: "ABC-123 As a user I can use this feature".

What I would rather display on the report is the shorter epic name without the key.  Is this possible?  Using a calculated member, perhaps?  I'm new to MDX and can't figure out the correct formula.

2 answers

2 votes
Brian Taylor April 3, 2018

I was able to create EazyBI report as follows 

{
"cube_name": "Stories",
"cube_reports": [ {
"name": "by Epic Link ",
"folder_name": "Custom",
"result_view": "pie_chart",
"definition": {"columns":{"dimensions":[{"name":"Epic Link","selected_set":["[Epic Link].[All Epic Links]"],"members":[],"bookmarked_members":[]}]},"rows":{"dimensions":[{"name":"Project","selected_set":["[Project].[Project].Members"],"members":[],"bookmarked_members":[]}]},"pages":{"dimensions":[{"name":"Time","selected_set":["[Time].[All Times]"],"members":[{"depth":0,"name":"All Times","full_name":"[Time].[All Times]","drillable":true,"type":"all","expanded":true,"drilled_into":false},{"depth":1,"name":"2018","full_name":"[Time].[2018]","drillable":true,"expanded":true,"drilled_into":false,"parent_full_name":"[Time].[All Times]"},{"depth":2,"name":"Q1 2018","full_name":"[Time].[2018].[Q1 2018]","drillable":true,"parent_full_name":"[Time].[2018]"}],"bookmarked_members":[],"current_page_members":["[Time].[2018].[Q1 2018]"]},{"name":"Profields Owning Dev Manager","selected_set":["[Profields Owning Dev Manager].[Owning Dev Manager]"],"members":[{"depth":0,"name":"Owning Dev Manager","full_name":"[Profields Owning Dev Manager].[Owning Dev Manager]","drillable":true,"type":"all","expanded":true,"drilled_into":false}],"bookmarked_members":[],"current_page_members":["[Profields Owning Dev Manager].[Owning Dev Manager]"]}]},"options":{},"view":{"current":"pie_chart","maximized":false,"pie_chart":{"swap_axes":false,"donut":true,"show_legend":false,"show_labels":true,"data_labels":"values","relative_size":false,"series_options":{}}}}
} ],
"calculated_members": []
}

Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2018

Hi,

Please use the following code to redefine your "Epic Link" custom field using eazyBI advanced settings (You should use your Epic Link custom field ID instead of NNNNN):

[jira.customfield_NNNNN]
dimension_member_name = "epic_name"

After you make changes in advanced settings, it would require to run first import without custom field Epic Link (to drop it from the eazyBI db) and then you could select it back and import data again.

Epic name - Jira.png

New member names.png

Epic link report.png

N.B. It would replace epic link name in your eazyBI account for all reports where "Epic Link" dimension is used.

Best regards,

Martins / eazyBI team

Jose Luis Casarrubias August 26, 2020

I used this solution and it worked fine.

Thank you so much!

0 votes
Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2016

Hi Matt,

You could import custom field "Epic Name" as property via import settings under custom fields.

After successful import new Issue property "Issue Epic Name" should appear in your eazyBI "Measures" dimension that should return your needed "Epic name" when it is added to columns.

We would not recommend replacing Epic Link dimension with Epic name, as Epic link is used in "Issue" hierarchy and Key&Summary is used as unique ID for Epics. 

Please contact support@eazybi.com if you have further questions regarding this!

Kind regards,

Martins Vanags / support@eazybi.com

Matt DeLuco June 8, 2016

Is there any way I can just change the epic link to display the name instead?

The string of "Epic Key / Epic Summary" is far too long for gauge reports, for example.  Having the shorter name in place would make for more readable reports.

Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2016

Hi Matt,

Actually, there is a way - then you would need to import "Epic Name" as a dimension and use it instead, but we don't recommend that approach as then you are risking to aggregate two epics which store accidentally the same name.

To import it as dimension you could add this code below (by replacing NNNNN with your actual field ID that you can find in import settings when placing your cursor on field name) to advanced settings and after updating them you should be able to import this field as a dimension via import settings.

Then this field should appear as a dimension in eazyBI reports after an import is completed.

[jira.customfield_NNNNN]
data_type = "string"
dimension = true

Kind regards,

Briana August 24, 2016

Thanks for this information - however, is there a way to display the Epic Name as part of the Epic Link at the issue level? I'd like to show they key+name for the Epic linked to an issue in my report as a property of the issue.

eazyBI Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2016

Hi Briana,

You could import field "Epic Name" (via eazyBI import settings under "show available custom fields") as an issue property and then select it from the "Measures" dimension to your columns. It will show values when Issue level will be used in the report.

epic name as a property - import settings.jpg

issue epic name in report.jpg

Kind regards,

Brian Taylor April 3, 2018

Can you provide an example - I have tried what was suggested and still only get the EPIC ID not the name 

Looking for a report similar to that of JIRA EPIC report Gadget 

EPIC Pie Chart.png

Peter Kuntz February 13, 2019

I think 2 things are mixed up here.
The EPIC LINK property shows the EPIC-ID the current ISSUE is linked to.
If you add EPIC NAME, it looks for the EPIC NAME of the CURRENT ISSUE, but since the current issue is not an EPIC it won't show anything.

Like Roberts Čāčus likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events