Importing Sub-Tasks via CSV

Chelsea Hampton May 25, 2017

We have JIRA Core - Server.  I need to move sub-tasks from 1 project to another.  I export the sub-tasks via CSV, made the adjustments to Parent ID and Issue ID, and used the CSV import tool.  I receive an error that the Parent ID is invalid and none of my sub-tasks will import.  So I created a 'test' sub-task in said Issue.  I exported and found that the Parent ID matches PERFECTLY.  I cannot find much documentation in the Atlassian 7.3 for importing sub-tasks (older documentation discusses it, but their screens have obviously changed since then). 

How are you importing sub-tasks correctly with the Parent ID?

2 answers

0 votes
Jade Zhang July 18, 2017

I tried doing this sub-task thing, but it's showing me that Parent ID not found. Even though I have the exact issue number in Jira to match. 

Why is that?

Trang Tran March 27, 2019

try using key value for Parant Id. Hope this helps

2019-03-28_11h34_35.png

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2017

Chelsea,

If you are just moving the tasks from one project to another I would suggest using a bulk change and migrating them.  If the tasks need to remain in the old project and you have to create them in the new project you will need to make sure that the following is defined for each sub-task:

• Issue Id
  • Parent Id
  • Issue Type

If any of the three items are missing you will get an error and they will not import.  

An example would be:

Issue ID, Parent ID, Summary, Issue Type
001, ASD-01, This is Sub Task One, Sub-Task
002, ASD-01, This is a Sub Task Two, Sub-Task
003, ASD-01, This is a Sub Task Three, Sub-Task

The issue ID must be unique to the imort file, the parent ID must match an issue in the JIRA project.

If you use the format I provided you should be good to go.

Thanks
Brant

Trang Tran June 22, 2017

Be aware that import engine uses External Issue ID, not internal ID from the issue url

Jade Zhang July 18, 2017

where do you find the External Issue ID?

Trang Tran July 19, 2017

You can try to edit the jira ticket to assign a unique value to External Issue ID then use that unique value as Parent ID during importing. Hope this can help!

Suggest an answer