Importing Issue Type using CSV import as a user and not admin

Andy Munro January 19, 2021

My users are using CSV to collect data and then importing via the user CSV import. This works as long as you are importing to the first issue type but I don't believe you can map IssueType unless you are admin, is this correct? Any easy work around on this?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
mogavenasan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2021

Not really, because only Jira Admins would be able to create new Issue Types. 

Andy Munro January 20, 2021

Apologies for not being clear. I am not creating new issue types, I just want to import in a different, already defined issue type. In my example, my first issue type is "User Requirement" and the second is "Functional Specification". The user import looks like it will only import to the first issue type "User Requirement".

When I create an issue on the GUI, I have to define the project and issue type while it appears that when I "import issues from a CSV" I only define the project. Is this a major oversight or am I missing something obvious?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2021

While it is true that holding administrator permissions more options are available for CSV import an user can import defining Issue Type without any problems.

I believe you are referring to this general information:
If not specified in your CSV file, imported issues will be given the default (i.e. first) Issue Type, as specified in your Jira instance.

But looking at the CSV file you have several options - one of them is to assign an Issue Type:

IssueType, Summary, Project Name, Project Key
bug, "First issue", Sample, SAMP

Please also review - the documentation explains it a lot better than I could:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver/creating-issues-using-the-csv-importer-939937906.html

My CSV contains IssueType and this works successfully when importing via the admin approach but using the standard user method it does not. When you map IssueType only the fields visible on the create screen are selectable which does not include IssueType. In the admin mode the issueType is available to select.  The documentation link attached does not distinguish between the modes.

I am very willing to believe I am doing something wrong but to me it does look like a major drawback with this approach. 

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2021

Viewing the example data I presented you in the answer above I went to a Jira Server instance where I am definitely not admin and got a positive result. (Jira version 8.3.4)

grafik.png

Note: by purpose I did not select the standard value "bug" but a more rare one.

So the Issue Type is to be mapped (on the following page the Issue Type even could be selected so I went for an even more special one) - and the import worked out. Do you see the same information when trying to import or how does it present the window to you (as user, not admin)?

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for this, it was user error. The issues I had created did not have Issue Type on the create screen. This has fixed the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer