Impact to Jira and Confluence if Jira Core is deleted

Andy_Thamert February 12, 2020

We activated the free Jira Core to test the project management functionality but will not use it. 

If I delete the free Jira Core, what are the impacts that I should expect to our paid versions of Jira and Confluence?

Thanks for the help!

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2020

Hi Andy,

I see that you're using Atlassian Cloud, you have free Jira Core, but you are not using it and want to know what impact removing this from your site will have.

The answer to this might be slightly different between Jira Cloud and Jira Server versions, so I'll try to answer both.

For Jira Cloud:

You can remove this application from your Cloud site.  However if you do so, any users on your site that only have access to a group granted Jira Core access won't be able to use Jira.  This is commonly avoided just by adding those users to a group that grants these users to access a product like Jira Software per Update product access settings.  If all your users that need to use Jira are in a group that already has access to Jira Software or Jira Service Desk Agent role, then your users won't notice any difference at all.

That said, you don't have to delete Jira Core in Cloud in order to avoid paying for it.  It is possible now to switch our Cloud products to a Free tier.  This would let you keep that product, but limit you in regards to the number of users that have specific access to that product/application.  The Free tier is 10 users/3 agents (Agents are a role specific to Jira Service Desk), there are some more details in https://www.atlassian.com/software/free.  In Cloud you can switch to a free tier for a product by going to Settings -> Billing -> Manage Subscriptions and then click the "Change" link next to Standard plan for the product plan type.  This will take you to a page like this where you can select Free. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 4.16.19 PM.png

Please note that Free tier products only have support here in Community.

For Jira Server:

Technically you can't remove Jira Core itself from a Jira Server install.  It's shipped with all Jira Server installations of Jira Software and Jira Service Desk. However in server, you don't need to license Jira Core as long as you have at least one other license applied for Jira Software or Jira Service Desk on that install.   For Jira Server you can delete the license key though from the system if you not longer want to use that product.   If you do that, the same is true as in Cloud, that any Jira users that were in the groups that grant access to Jira Core won't be able to login to Jira, unless they also already have access to Jira Software or Jira Service Desk Agent role.  You could check these users to make sure they are in another group so they can continue to login to Jira by consulting Licensing and application access. To delete the Jira Core license key you can go to the Cog Icon -> Applications -> Versions and Licenses and then click the trash icon next to the Jira Core license key.

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 4.11.17 PM.png

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any followup concerns about this.

Cheers,

Andy

Suggest an answer