I want to use Kanban and Scrum with single Backlog, is that possible?

Denitsa_Anastasova October 16, 2019

Hi there,

We are organisation that manages different Projects.

Our teams work in Kanban mode for ad-hoc requests and hotfixes, while for Scrum we follow different approach - we dedicate a sprint goal to a team that upgrades new functionality to the projects.

We decided to use the kanplan feature (backlog for Kanban) and we wanted to benefit from this backlog in the Sprint planning. Product managers like to have visibility of the entire backlog before pulling work to Sprints or Kanban to-do lists.

Can I use one single backlog from which I can pull issues in the Sprint and simultaneously use this backlog to pull issues for the Kanban.

2 answers

0 votes
Yevhen Rohovets
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2019

Hello Denitsa,

As I know, in Jira Core you can have only one default board for a project, and you cannot create additional boards for projects. Also in Jira Core, you cannot have scrum projects and scrum boards, you cannot work on sprint functionality

If you want to work on different boards from the same project, as well as have sprints and Scrum, then it is better to use Jira software

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2019

Hi @Denitsa_Anastasova 

We use Jira Software, not Core, but I think the functionality is the same.

We have a project which was initially set up with a Scrum board, and more recently we have started using a Kanban board as well. So yes you can, as long as you set up the board filters of each board (Scrum and Kanban) correctly so that you see all items that you're expecting.

Suggest an answer