I want to grant stakeholders from another company access to my Jira Core project. How ?

Michael Casale February 28, 2020

Can outside users from another company access only a Jira core project that I created and no other areas of Jira that we use ? Can the project be stored on a Jira managed external space so that outside stakeholders do not have to connect thru our company firewall ?

1 answer

4 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2020

Hi @Michael Casale,

Welcome to Atlassian Community.

You have a two options, one is to give the external users access to your network and Jira instance and then use permission scheme and security scheme to control what they can access. If you want to host it on an external space, like Jira Cloud, you would need an app in order to sync between you two instances. The Marketplace have a couple of apps that can do this, for example Backbone, Exalate and Elements Copy & Sync.

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2020

I just wanted to add some details on the solutions @Mikael Sandberg already mentioned.

Access one project in your Jira instance
Make sure that your permission scheme does not grant any logged-in user the Browse project permission. You can further use project permissions to control what everyone can do.
If you open up your internal project like that, you can further use issue-level security from hiding specific issues from some users.

Setup another Jira with external access and sync
Here are some articles in Backbone's docs and Exalate's docs talking about that scenario.

PS: I'm working for the team behind Backbone. If you'd further like to discuss your specific use case, let us know via support@k15t.com.

Suggest an answer