I want to add a custom field in the "base swimlanes on" dropdown. How to do it?

Ganeshkumar April 14, 2020

I have multiple project. In some projects there are multiple applications. Since every project has different application hence i have custom fields based on application. I want to Add custom field for application in the base swimlanes on.

In another project, i have swimlanes based on labels. As soon as some new label is introduced that falls in "Everything Else" swimlanes. For that project i want to add "labels" in the "base swimlanes on" dropdown.

Please help.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2020

You would need to pull out the module of Jira Software that provides the swimlane functionality and rewrite it, adding the new function for the new field into it.  I'm afraid it's system functionality that is not readily amendable.

The best you can do is amend your board swimlanes every time a new label comes into use, adding a new one for "labels = <new label>"

Hi Nic, 

Currently i am doing the same. 

And as per your comment we cannot add a new value in the dropdown. Kindly Confirm

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2020

Correct, you will need to rewrite the swimlane code to enable selection of other things.

Can I expect that as a future functionality?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2020

I think I saw something about "allow select lists to be chosen", but I don't know if it's on a roadmap

Brian A March 9, 2021

Is there a JQL function that can be used to accomplish what Ganeshkumar is asking for?

Like Ganeshkumar likes this
1 vote

Thanks Nic and John.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2020

Hi @Ganeshkumar  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I am not sure that I am understanding your need. Do you want to change the query that your Swimlanes are based on? 

If so, you can go to your board, then Board Settings.

Under Swimlanes, you can modify the underlying JQL for what you need. 

swimlanes.jpgHi @John Funk

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have uploaded a screenshot of the field i want to configure. It is " Base Swimlanes on" dropdown. I want to add a custom field in the dropdown e.g. Application.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2020

I understand now - and, no, you are not going to be able to modify that per Nic's comments below. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events