I pay for Jira Software, do I need to pay for Jira Core as well?

Max N September 23, 2020

The features/pricing page states the following:

"

Inherited Jira Core plans

Jira Software and Service Desk are built on top of Jira Core. If you have a license for either Jira Software or Service Desk, you also get Jira Core with project templates made specifically for business teams. The Jira Core plan you inherit depends on what plans you have for your other Jira Cloud products.

If all of your other Jira Cloud products are on the Free plan, you'll get the features of Jira Core Free. If you have any Jira Cloud product on Standard or Premium, you'll get the features of Jira Core Standard (there's no Jira Core Premium plan).

If you don't specifically activate a license for Jira Core, you can use the features associated with your plan level but you don't get a separate user allowance for Jira Core. To add more users for Jira Core, activate a plan for Jira Core."

After upgrading Jira Software to Standard, my classic business projects (Jira Core) would not allow me to edit the permissions, exactly what we need to do.

When checking the plans settings, I see Jira Core still said Free, whereas I had expected it to inherit the standard license from Jira Software. 

I then changed Jira Core to Standard, but it states it's in a free trial. 

Will this mean I will end up paying for BOTH Jira Core and Jira Software standard licenses?

I simply need permissions editing ability across all our projects.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Patricia Francezi
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2020

HI @Max N 

Having Jira Software, already provides you the templates that Jira Core would provide you. They are inclued in your Jira Softeware product. 

So, there is no need to have both, consequently you will not have to pay. 

The question about permissions: From Standard Plans, you are already able to manage project permissions.

In my instance I had the same scenario and what I did was remove Jira Core from my subscription, and the permission on Business Templates came back.

I did this because previously I just had Jira Software, so i knew that the projects were created with Jira Software, and they should back to the original product used to create them. 

In your case, I recommend you to reach Atlassian support to check this, to prevent losing your projects. Sounds that you have the contrary scenario: created from Jira Core, than moved to software product. 

Max N September 23, 2020

Hi Patricia, 

Thanks for clearing this up. I will speak with Atlassian to double check but will move the existing projects into Jira software then remove Jira core as it only stands to cause confusion.

Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD Trial
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events