I need to display the most recent comment in a JQL/ dashboard in Server /DataCenter

StephanieC June 9, 2023

I need to display the most recent comment in a JQL/ dashboard in Server /DataCenter

All we can find are solutions for Cloud !!

We also have ScriptRunner & JMCF if that is helpful. 

4 answers

4 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2023

I usually do this as a scripted field, but you could do it by writing to standard custom field in a listener.

The core code you need for Scriptrunner is at https://library.adaptavist.com/entity/show-last-comment-issue

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 9, 2023

Hi @StephanieC

if you're open to other apps from the Atlassian Marketplace, this would also work out of the box in the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of so-called "smart columns" that aren’t natively available, including the last comment (along with many other comment-related data).

This is how it looks in action:

comments.gif

You can also use the last comment across JXL's advanced features - such as support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting - and "inline-add" new comments either to individual issues or in bulk, via copy/paste. 

This all "just works", so there's no scripting or automation whatsoever required.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2023

Another option would to be to use automation to copy the most recent comment to a custom field when a comment is added to an issue. There is a smart value for the last comment.

Similar idea to the scriptrunner listener, but you can do it with automation for jira and not have to worry about scriptrunner coding.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2023

Bear in mind that that requires yet another app to be bought and installed.

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2023

Automation for jira comes with DataCenter now.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2023

Suggest an answer