I have one action across 2 user stories, do I clone, duplicate or link?

Helena Ferguson September 1, 2022

Hi All!

I am writing a few user stories and 2 of them will share the same action for our analyst, I don't want to confuse them so I want to be able to have just the one action listed under both user stories (the action is just data analysis but I need to capture in both user stories) - do I need to duplicate or clone the story from the original ticket and link to the new ticket?

What is the best way to do it?

Thanks all!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Hi @Helena Ferguson and welcome to the community!

I would write the two different user stories and just link them with an appropriate link type. The link type is something that you have to decide as a company/team. What clones means to you, or what relates to means to you etc.

If I were you, I would place "relates to", since it might have a similar action, but it's not the same user story.

Thanks Alex! Appreciate the insight, definitely need to work on aligning these types of things within the business, it can be very scattergun across the teams!

0 votes
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Hi @Helena Ferguson fully agree with @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ create the two stories and link them.  Again the usage of links their names and the inward outward relationships created between the tickets is determined by your organization.  Relates should be perfectly fine.

Thanks Craig! Appreciate the advice :)

Like Craig Nodwell likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events