I deleted a project but the key is still exists, cloud version, how i can delete the key?

Zeev Liak December 29, 2021

Hello,

I deleted a project and I am trying to open a new project with same name and key and it says key is exist.

I am on cloud version.

How can I delete key?

Thx,

Zeevik

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2021

Hi @Zeev Liak 

Did you delete the project from the trash as well?

Ravi

Zeev Liak December 30, 2021

This was the issue, it took me time to find it :-)

1 vote
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2021

@Zeev Liak welcome to the Community! (posting answer here as well as your question posted 2x)

Project Keys cannot be reused. Once created, even if the space or project is deleted, they still remain in the Metadata of your instance/installation and cannot be reused or reassigned.

Here is a related article regarding Project Management and Keys.

0 votes
Zeev Liak December 30, 2021

The problem was I did not deleted the project from trash.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2021

Hi Zeev - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

It is not possible right now in server as there is an open feature request to provide that functionality. You can vote for and follow along here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-34945

The functionality exists to reuse it after deletion in Jira Cloud. 

Sujata birajdar September 22, 2022

HI @John Funk : Can you explain how we can use the key again in jira cloud

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2022

Hi Sujata - Congrats on being a Rising Star!

You have to delete the entire project from Jira - including moving it out of the trash if it is still in there. 

Also, please note that if ANY issue on that project has been moved to another project, then you still will not be able to re-use the project key again, even if the project has been deleted. 

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 29, 2021

Suggest an answer