How to write a JQL to search for a user in one field but not in another?

Kumar Aniket August 13, 2019

I have 2 custom fields called "Code Review Approvers" and Code Review Approved By". When a workflow reached the "Code Review" status, a few users are selected to be the "Code Review Approvers". As a user approves, their name gets populated in the "Code Review Approved By" field.

I want to create a filter where the currentuser() is in "Code Review Approvers" but not in "COde Review Approved By", which means they have a pending approval.

The JQL I came up with was:

"Code Review Approvers" = currentUser() and "Code Review Approved By" != currentUser().

This, however, is not returning any issues. What am I doing wrong here?

3 answers

1 vote
Кирилл Часовских August 14, 2019

Hi! you need to use "in" and "not in"

__

"Code Review Approvers" in (currentUser()) and "Code Review Approved By" not in (currentUser())
Kumar Aniket August 14, 2019

Hi, It still does not work.

Kieran_Donnelly March 19, 2020

Did you ever find a solution to this issue?

0 votes
Bas Roos March 22, 2023

Not sure if this is still relevant for you, but else for anyone else who finds this:

When you test a multi-user field != currentUser(), it will not match if the mutli-user field is empty. You need to add this specifically to your query. The solution would be:

"Code Review Approvers" = currentUser() and ("Code Review Approved By" != currentUser() or "Code Review Approved By" is empty)
Fabian Schubert July 13, 2023

Hi Bas!

I just found your addition to this and wanted to say "thanks", because it helped me to fix the jql I was fighting with for a while ;-)

Best regards

Fabian 

Like Bas Roos likes this
0 votes
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2019

I tried a small proof of concept, and it seems that the != portion of your query is what is failing. In my test "Test Multi User Field" = currentUser() returns the one issue that I expect, but "Test Multi User Field" != currentUser(), which I expect to return all other issues, returns 0 issues. I unfortunately have no guidance on this issue.

Suggest an answer