How to tag groups in projects on JIRA?

Patrick Chu November 9, 2015

When you are commenting on a project is there a way you can tag a whole group instead of one by one?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2015

What do you mean by "commenting on a project"? JIRA Projects does not have comments, JIRA Project issues does. 

Assuming you meant JIRA Project issues and by "tag" you mean by @mentions? As you can see, it will only work with single JIRA accounts, not user groups or roles. What's your use case here? So that a group can be notified? You can create a "generic" JIRA account that will have a team's distribution list as its email so that by mentioning this account, you will send an email to the distro list.

Parker Weihe May 12, 2017

Is this been improved or added on in any way? I to would like to create a group or email group to mention with @mentions and I would prefer to not have to create an account to. There should be a way to create a project email group software team group so that if I want them all to see a comment I can simply just @SoftwareTeam or something of that nature.

Like # people like this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2017

Hi Parker,

you can watch this issue here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-28225

Like # people like this
Kavitha Varadarajan June 19, 2019

Any updates here? Looking for the exact same feature.. right now I need have a rather unnecessary work around to do.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Isaac Trumbo May 25, 2021

In Jira Server, you can actually manage these groups with Distro lists in Google Workspace for example.

You add the users to a group, e.g. project-a-testers@company.com.

Then add that group as a normal User in Jira.

This allows you to tag the user, e.g. Project A, and they all get notified of the ticket.

They will need individual Jira accounts as well of course, but this solves the User Group tagging issue that Cloud has and Server lacks.

Deleted user June 27, 2021

I followed your advice. I created a Distribution Group in Office 365 and added members.

However, when I sent an invite from Jira to add the Group, members are not getting any email invites. I tested by sending a regular mail to that group and members received it.

I tested again by mentioning the group in Jira, but members didnt get an email as well.

Any ideas?

Deleted user July 10, 2021

^ i figured this out. Turns out that external orgs are not allowed to send emails to any of our groups. Thats why the Jira notification email is not received

0 votes
Rahul Ingle April 29, 2021

Go to MORE in toolbar top in Jira.

Select PEOPLE.

In this page you can see Start A Team icon. Click that

You are set now! Who all team mates you invite and if they accept your invite will be activated. 

And in future, if you want to mention/tag your teammstart team.jpgset team name.JPGates in a message you no need to mention them Individually. You can mention/tag the team name so everyone in the team who accepted the invitation link will get the notification

jira user profile.jpg

Fabio Roncarati June 25, 2021

Only the members can tag the team (or site admin).

I need a way to tag a group of peoples at once instead one by one

0 votes
Ismael Garcia June 16, 2020

more than 7 years user requesting this feature that comes by default in modern platforms and apps, and JIRA haven't solved yet? shame...............................

hjewell July 17, 2020

I agree.... 

Like Monica Bowen likes this
Deleted user February 2, 2021

lets see if it will go 8 years lol

Like # people like this

Actually I just tested today and its now available guys! You can now mention a Jira group in a ticket! woo hoo!

However, it still wont let you mention a team when creating an alert in automation. You will still need to mention all the names in that team. The reason its important in my situation is so that when someone leaves or added, I wont have to go back and update my Automation rule each time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events