How to search for a string in X-Ray test steps?

Jeff Morse
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 28, 2022

My team needs to find all X-ray tests that have a specific string in a test step. What is the JQL to search for that?

A simple "type = test and text ~ blah" returns nothing.

2 answers

0 votes
Michael
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 19, 2022

Check the end of this link: https://docs.getxray.app/display/XRAY/Enhanced+querying+with+JQL

issuetype = 'Test' and "Manual Test Steps" ~ "Login with user administrator"

Works best in "Flat View". Just replace the text "Login with user administrator".

Yvonne Bjørkholt August 14, 2022

Hi Michael, we have tried but it does not work for us.

image.png
FYI I'm administrator and we have also tried with other administrator accounts.
I assume Flat view refer to List view?
Any other suggestions?

Michael
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 15, 2022

Hi Yvonne,

You don't need to have an administrator account to search.

I just went under the "Xray Test Repository" from the menu on the left in Jira, selected the folder I wanted to search under, then clicked "Filter" top right, then "ADVANCED", then entered my JQL Search query:

issuetype = 'Test' and "Manual Test Steps" ~ "<Text to search for>"

I click Apply and to search all child folders rather than just the selected one, I clicked "Switch to Flat View" top right. After clicking the text changes to "Switch to Folders View". In Flat View though I can see all the results in all the sub-folders too.

It could be though that this field is a custom field (although I doubt it as it's listed in the documentation I linked to above) or the field has a slightly different name or is in a different language if you're not using English. Try deleting the text "Manual Test Steps" and then a list of available fields will appear - have a look through the list for something similar.

Yvonne Bjørkholt August 15, 2022

Works with: image.png

Thanks ;-) 

0 votes
Yvonne Bjørkholt June 30, 2022

Jeff, did you ever find a solution?

Garth Smitman April 10, 2023

I have the same. In CLOUD instance. The search seems to locate information in the Description field. I am specifically attempting to search the text within the Manual Test Step fields. 

The above is handy to most of the fields, but is misleading as it does not appear to search within Action, Data, or Expected Result.

Or a custom addition, which is what the teams are subtly asking for:

Them: "Can we have a "Requirement" test step field?"

Me: "Yes!" :adds the field:

Them: "Why can't I find the Test Steps that link to a Requirement? You said we could have a Requirement test step field,... what good is it if we can't search and filter based on that field?"

Me: :facepalm:

2023-04-10_16-47-40.png

Henry Pitman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 12, 2023

I would very much like to know if this is possible. I'm not an admin user. My company heavily uses and reuses test steps and it would be very useful to be able to easily track down the ones we need.

Suggest an answer