How to populate CI builds in JIRA issue

Kalyan Raj Sista November 1, 2018

How can I populate 'CI Builds' within JIRA issue. Currently, I am Jenkins as CI/CD tool. My understanding is that when a particular Jenkins job is run, CI builds will be updated with relevant information about the release, list of files changed etc.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 15, 2018

Hello Kalyan,

Jenkins and Jira together can be a powerhouse duo. Getting Jenkins to talk back to Jira can be a little bit of work. I would like to state that I am no Jenkins expert, but I do use Jenkins. With this said, it looks as though there is a Jenkins Plugin which should meet your needs.

The plugin is called Jira Issue Updater Plugin. The plugin states the following:

This is a Jenkins plugin which updates issues in Atlassian JIRA (by changing their status, adding a comment or updating fields) as part of a Jenkins job.
Jira-Issue-Updater-Plugin can search for issues to update using a flexible, user-definable JQL which can contain arbitrary variable values from the Jenkins Build, and update the contents of the JIRA.
The plugin can be called during a Post Build Step and/or as a Post Build Action.

Common Use Cases:

• Update a JIRA when a build passes/fails, for example to keep an audit trail in JIR
  • Update Fixed Versions in JIRA
  • Fail a build if a JIRA cannot be found

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Kalyan Raj Sista November 21, 2018

My jenkins instance is behind the firewall so I cannot directly update CI builds tab within JIRA issue. However, as suggested by you, I used JIRA issue updater plugin and updated the comments section with the build information.

0 votes
Sverre Moe July 28, 2019

In order to populate the "CI Builds" field in Jenkins, as it seems to come from the "Jenkins Integration for Jira" plugin, you would need their "Jira Integration for Jenkins" plugin as well on your Jenkins server.

https://docs.marvelution.org/jji/server/release-notes

https://docs.marvelution.org/jji/server

JIRA: Jenkins Integration for Jira

Jenkins: Jira Integration for Jenkins

Suggest an answer