How to make "Assignee" field mandatory everywhere but the Backlog

Michel Mathia August 14, 2018

Hello,

I would like to have the assignee field mandatory (i.e. issue not unassigned) in all status of the issue, but just not in the backlog. In backlog, we still don't know who will work on it, so we allow an issue to be unassigned.

I could (and I did) set a validator in the transitions to ensure there's an assignee during transition leaving the backlog, but nothing prevents to unassign afterward.

Thanks for your hints.

Michel

2 answers

1 vote
Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2018

There is an administrative setting for making Assignee as mandatory at:

Administration > System > General Configuration

Search for "Allow Unassigned Issues" and turn it OFF. This would enforce and ensure that every issue created has an 'Assignee'.

But that would mean, an assigned issue in Backlog. May be, you need to introduce a status 'Not ready' between 'Backlog' and 'Selected for Development' OR when the manager moves the ticket to 'Selected for Development', have a transition screen that shows and allows for changing 'Assignee' field.

Michel Mathia August 15, 2018

Thanks for the idea.

I know "allow unassigned issues" parameter, but it's not what I want.

The rest of the proposal still doesn't forbid to unassigned an issue that was assigned.

Kamel Meftah May 5, 2020

Hey Michel, I know the topic is probably old, but if you are still interested about a way to deal with your request, I created a blog post about it "how to make the assignee field required in Jira"

Like # people like this
Dina El-Mowafy December 23, 2021

I liked the idea of adding assignee as required field on creation validators

0 votes
shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2018

Hi Michel,

set only assignee condition in the transition, then only assignee can execute transition and most important click publish draft else changes won't effect

Hi Ramesh,

Thanks for the idea.

But when the issues are in the backlog (potentially unassigned), the manager set an assignee, and the manager change the status to "selected for development" (or whatever status comes after the backlog).

Wouldn't this prevent the manager to change the status after he assigned the issue to a team member? (because the manager is not the assignee)

Also after the transition, does it prevent to change to "unassigned" without changing the status (i.e. without transition)?

shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2018

-yes it will prevent the manager to change the status once you have updated the transition with only assignee condition 

-no,you can change assignee at any time

Unfortunately, I what the manager to be able to change the status even when he's not assignee.

Also, when the status is not "Backlog" I want to forbid the possibility to unassigned the issue.

shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2018

who should be able to execute the transition

both assignee and manager

Michel Mathia August 15, 2018

Basically I don't want to restrict who can execute transition. But if it helps, it could assignee and manager

shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2018

ok you want both assignee and manager should be able to execute the transition

then follow the steps

1-edit workflow of concerned project and issue types

2-click on transition and then validator

3-select the permission validator and select the permission from drop down list 

4-set the permission for the same with current assignee and reporter(manager) then only assignee and reporter(manager) can execute the transition 

Michel Mathia August 16, 2018

Hi Ramesh,

Thanks for your perseverance, but this still doesn't forbid to unassign an issue once out of the backlog.

I guess it's just not possible :(

Suggest an answer