How to include User that triggered an event in email subject

Philipp Wieseckel August 16, 2022

I would like to include the User that modified/updated or somehow triggered an event that leads to an email notification to be included in the emails subject.

I know that i need to edit the templates either in the installation directory or those included in the batcher application.

But what variable do i need to use.

1 answer

1 vote
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

Hi @Philipp Wieseckel 

Jira by default will not send out notifications for changes to the user who caused the action. You have to go to System > Default User Preferences and turn on the "Notify users of their own changes".

notify users.png

Keep in mind though, that users are able to switch for their own profile only this option, thus not receiving any notifications.

Hope any of the above helps.

Alex

Philipp Wieseckel August 19, 2022

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ thanks for your response.

I think you got me wrong there its not about notifying the User that made a change but include the Users Username in the Subject of the Mail that gets send out.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2022
Philipp Wieseckel August 19, 2022

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ Thanks, i was aware of the documentation but am still unsure about the Variable i should use.

This: https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/jira-templates-and-jsps/

seems to explain that i should use $remoteUser but it looks like it is not working properly.

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2022

I would agree that by the looks of it remoteUser is the way to go. But I haven't a server instance to test it. What are the results you are getting?

Philipp Wieseckel August 23, 2022

It is "$remoteUser.displayname"

Suggest an answer