How to hide the comment field only in the Edit screen and not the View screen

Tom L June 11, 2018

I have a requirement to hide the comment field in the Edit screen.  I was able to hide it using the following Behaviours script:

def commentField = getFieldById(getFieldChanged())

if (getFieldScreen().name == "My Edit Screen" && !getActionName())

{ // check if on edit screen
commentField.setHidden(true)
}

But, the problem is that it is also hiding the comment field in the View screen, which I do not want.

For example, after I open/dismiss the Edit screen and clicked on the "Comment" button in the "Comments" tab in the View screen, the "Comment" button disappeared.  Also clicking on the "Comment" button under the Summary in the View screen has no affect.

If I refresh the browser, the "Comment" button appears again in the "Comments" tab, and clicking on it will display the comment field.

Anyone knows how to hide the comment field in the Edit screen without affecting the comment field in the View screen?

5 answers

1 vote
Tom L June 12, 2018

I was able to hide the comment field using javascript code.

In the "Field Configurations", I located a custom field in the View screen and added the following javascript code to the field descripton:

<script> $(document).ready(function(){ $("div.aui-field-wikiedit").hide(500); }); </script>

At run-time, the comment field is hidden in the Edit screen.  The comment field in the View screen is not affected.

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2018

It should be like this:

if ( !getActionName())

}

Tom L June 11, 2018

Thanks Alexey.  It didn't work.  It hid the comment field in both Edit and View screens.  I don't want the comment field to be hidden in the View screen.

0 votes
Christoph Schmitz July 15, 2020

If this is still interesting:

As this solution worked for me in it's attended purpose, have you checked wether you have configured your "My Edit Screen" also as "View Screen" in your screen scheme? Or maybe upgraded SR to a newer version?

0 votes
Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2018

I am trying to do the opposite here. I want to hide the comment on the view screen, but when the user hits the transition button, I want them to be able to insert the comment on this screen.

0 votes
Mark Markov
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2018

Hello @Tom L

try this:

commentField.setHidden(false)

if ( !getActionName())

}

Tom L June 12, 2018

Hi @Mark Markov

It didn't work either.

After you dismiss the Edit screen and click on the "Comment" button in the "Comments" tab in the View screen, the button disappears.  The only way I know of getting the button back is by refreshing the browser, which is not acceptable for the users.

Suggest an answer