How to get EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) with Jira Cloud

Jon May 26, 2020

We use to help manage a lot of dates and other details from different companies, manly being logistic provider, these companies send info in EDI format and there can be many changes which we entering into Jira manually but would if we could get a EDI set up i beleive this info could be automatically uploaded without data entry. Let me know if you have any insight about this and setting it up. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2020

Any system can talk to Jira over its REST API - see https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/

Jon May 29, 2020

Do you know  jira could can take data from XML, ANSI and Edifact? Or are there any add ins in the marketplace that help with this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2020

It can take data from anywhere, if you can translate them into appropriate REST calls (or API calls if you were on Server/DC).  It can directly import XML to some extent too.

Jon June 1, 2020

how would i go about trying to set up a direct import of an XML file? Is this something that can be set up to run automatically or is it something that we would have to manually translate each time? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2020

The XML import on Cloud is limited to data exported to XML from a system with a perfect understanding of Jira XML exports (i.e. another Jira Cloud or recent Server version)

It also overwrites your entire site.

So I don't think it's what you are looking for.  A regular or dynamic import probably needs to use REST calls to poke data in.

Jon June 1, 2020

So if the site we are getting the data from doesn’t do API Rest and jira doesn’t do XML, ANSI and Edifact The only option we would have is to find an add-on that can convert those formats to the API format correct? Or am I misunderstanding how this works?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2020

Jira does do XML and ANSI, but it needs to be structured in a way it makes sense to Jira.  Edifact is the wrong shape because it's not for issue tracking.

If your code can't do REST calls for some reason, then yes, you'll need to find something that can convert from your data format to something Jira can use.

Jon June 2, 2020

Are you familiar with any add-ons that can convert the data? Or even what I would search for in looking for one?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2020

I've used XSLT to convert XML into CSV for imports in the past.

I'm not aware of any apps that do it directly inside Jira though (other than REST endpoints in Scriptrunner, which I think are only available to Server, and writing my own Server "importer" plugins)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events