How to find JIRA issues that were recently commented by anyone but me?

tomas June 19, 2020

Hi team,

I read this discussion and learned how to filter Jira tickets that were commented on in the last 24 hours.

I want to slightly modify this filter by not including those tickets that were commented by myself.

In the answer of my mentioned discussion, the following line will find the tickets that were commented on in the past 24 hours by user Irina:

issueFunction in commented("after -1d by irina")

Is it possible to modify this function so that it excludes user "irina" and includes everyone else? Certainly it does not work if I insert "not" between "by" and "irina".

My purpose is to create a filter where I see all the tickets that are assigned to my queue and these tickets were commented on in the past 24 hours by someone else (but not myself).

Here is my current query for reference:

assignee = tomas AND status != Closed AND status != Resolved AND issueFunction in commented("after -24h")

I'm using Jira Server v7.12.1

Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2020

Hi @tomas

You can use NOT prior to the query itself to find issues that don't match a filter - so for example:

issueFunction NOT IN commented("by user.name") AND issueFunction IN commented("after -24h")

^ This query locates all issues which have NOT been commented on by a specific user and received a comment within the last 24 hours.

The limitation with the filter is it will not return issues you have commented on previously at all - as it's not a time-specific NOT query before the AND.

---

An alternative is to use "last comment" although this limits the search parameters to just the last comment made:

issueFunction not in lastComment("by user.name") and issueFunction in commented("after -24h")

^ This will return any issue where the last comment was not a specific user but it has received a comment within 24 hours. You might have made a comment 3 hours ago though, just not the last one.

---

Do either of these work for you? Or do these limitations cause issues?

Ste

tomas June 23, 2020

Hi Stephen, thank you for the tips. The second option works very well for me.

0 votes
Muhammad Ramzan(Atlassian Certified Master)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2020

You can achieve this using third party plugins, there are few available in market. I used ScriptRunner and JQL Search Extensions

Here is the example of JQL Search Extensions for Jira & reports 

You can use group

issue in commentedBetween("2018-05-26", "2018-07-01") and issue in commentedByUser("membersOf(employees)")

You can use single member

issue in commentedBetween("2018-05-26", "2018-07-01") and  issue in commentedByUser("filip")

Reference:

https://jqlsearchextensions.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SEARCH/pages/30497099/JQL+Reference+Server#JQLReference(Server)-Comments

Suggest an answer