How to color a card based on if it has subtasks of a certain status.

JT_Bruch December 7, 2016

I've been struggling with what I think should be a simple task.  Color a card based upon if it has subtasks of a certain status.

I have tried a whole host of various Googling/Stack Overflow/Atlassian Answers and have yet to figure this out.  Any help would be much appreciated.   

These are some of the attempts that have failed:

• issuetype = "Story" and issueFunction not in hasSubtasks()
  • issue in issuesWithRemoteLinksByGlobalId("SubTaskId")
  • issueFunction in subtasksOf("status = COMPLETED")
  • parent = issuekey

This is likely a simple issue but I'm new to JIRA administration and help would be much appreciated.

3 answers

1 vote
Aylin Kohls
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2016

Hi JT

I believe is not possible with raw Jira, but I use an addon (JQL tricks plugin) that has a special function you can apply to issue field (issue in subtaskIssuesFromFilter(savedFilterId)) 

Good luck!

1 vote
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2016

There's no such a built-in function that returns all issues that have at least one subtask. So, issues that have any subtasks under certain statuses doesn't exist either.

You may achieve it with a third party plugin, though . 

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2016

Look for Script Runner for JIRA Cloud in the Atlassian Marketplace.

JT_Bruch December 7, 2016

Is there functionality to determine if an issue has subtasks at all? 

0 votes
Stefan_Bertram January 9, 2020

Hi @ all,

I use the following command to color a card if it has subtasks:

issueLinkType = "is parent task of"

You might combine it with any other command to further specify your request.

Best regards, Birdy

Suggest an answer